General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 03:29 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

Default Help!

sup guys,

Me and my dad were driving to the dealer yesterday and we heard a weird noise near 70mph. The noise we heard sounds like the tires need balance. Its a humming noise. So we had the mechanics drive it(all my good friends that work at ford). The mechanic told me it wasn't that the tires needing balance. He said it sounds like the drive shaft weight fell off or the u joints are not right. So we had another mechanic drive it just to make sure. He said the same about the drive shaft needing to be rebalanced or it sounds like the pinion gear is shot.(i have a 4.10). He said they can't check it right now(its on the side) because all the racks are full and everyone still has 3 or 4jobs left. He told me he might have to rebuild the rear end. So he said bring it back on friday and he will check everything and tell me what i need to know. What do you guys think it is? Ohh yea we even pressed the clutch while driving at 70mph and it still made the noise so it couldn't be the tranny.

99 cobra
Old 09-15-2004, 07:22 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Help!

well it could be a tire not being truely round or one seperating jack the car up just so the rear tires are off the ground put a brick as close to the tire as posible with out touching roll the tire around to see if the space is the same for the whole tire if ok if it's ok remove the brick..and.....have some one start the car put it in gear and run it up to about 50mph make sure car is secure when doing this and look at the tread to see if it wobbles so to speak or if it's a bent rim. this also should help pin point the noise.
if it was a driveshaft and the weights fell off the car would vibrate like crazy same goes if it was bent
also check the amount of gear oil in the rear
try these as they are free to check
Old 09-16-2004, 12:00 AM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

ALright man thanks for your help

99 cobra
Old 09-16-2004, 03:52 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Well it could be a baering in the rear end. Also could be the drive shaft, If I were you I would jack the rear of the car up, Just inspect things, Make sure things are tight together.

Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

thanks man

I had it towed to the dealer to have them check it. They won't fix it till i say so. so i should be good there. I hope its not the rear end.

99 cobra
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

if it's under warrantty who care if it's not why in the world would you take it to the dealers @ 60+ hr