General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some info on ASE cert tests

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default Need some info on ASE cert tests

I know where to get the books and all that jazz. What do I need to do to take the actual test? Do I have to go to a class or something or can I do it online?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some info on ASE cert tests

Here is the site for ASE, you have to register to take the test at a local testing center, most times one in the spring and one in the fall, most tests require a certain amount of time in the field. You can take the tests if you dont but will not be certified until you reach the time needed. Depending on the job, most automotive related employers offer a reimbursment program if you pass.

here is the link. http://www.asecert.org/
Old 12-28-2006, 03:58 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

when i got my certification...i had to have 2 years experience in some kind of automotive related job. I work at advance auto parts, and that worked.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:10 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

To get ASE certs there is a minimum required time working in the field (used to be 2 years). Around here they only test twice a year, so find out when they have testing in your area. I believe its $12 per test (used to be anyway) and you can only take 4 at a time (theres 8 total). Other than that there is no requirements.
-P.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:52 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

So ASE certified doesn't neccesarily mean that your a real knowledgable mechanic? A certification from a Manufacturer like FORD would mean more? Like Factory Tech Certified? or something like that?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

Here is the site for ASE, you have to register to take the test at a local testing center, most times one in the spring and one in the fall, most tests require a certain amount of time in the field. You can take the tests if you dont but will not be certified until you reach the time needed. Depending on the job, most automotive related employers offer a reimbursment program if you pass.

here is the link. http://www.asecert.org/
Thanks bro. So say I take the tests and pass, but I only have three months at pep boys from like 3-4 years ago, would the ASE test passing grade help me get into a dealership and than from there work off my experiance time and get the offical ASE cert?

EDIT: 7up, you can be ASE cert'd all it means it technically you can fix the problem. Experiance is what gets the job done. You need to know how to diag a problem for the ASE knowledge to come in handy.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

So ASE certified doesn't neccesarily mean that your a real knowledgable mechanic? A certification from a Manufacturer like FORD would mean more? Like Factory Tech Certified? or something like that?
That is correct. Not all ASE's know what they are doing, many only get certs to get a raise. You would be very suprised at the garbage I heard ASE techs spew out of thier mouth. To be fair though not all mechanics are into cars like us, to some it's just a job, they can fix your AC, but have no idea how to pick out a cam, or what flow numbers mean etc.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Solver

Nice read, I plan on getting my Certification in a couple of years after I study a whole lot. I want to actually know what Im doing and I like working on cars etc.. Anyone know where to get some great autotechnology books, ASE books, and some auto specific books-videos etc? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Correct, My ASE's are barely worth the paper they are printed on, same with myFord certs. and it holds true for certs in other fields as well,A+. MCSE, etc. The real benefactor is your employer, The customers like the see the nice pretty blue and white logo on the front door. Sometimes it will get you more money, sometimes not. But they are good for resume padding. Most tech's I meet that are "certified" couldnt pass the test if it was hands on. The tests are mostly theory, strategyand operation, not actual structured applications. Hell even the AC cert is open book. Some of them can be done online, most require you to go to a testing center. Mine was at my old high school cafeteria, you get 4 hours to take the tests. Most test I finish 30 minutes for the little ones, the longest I ever took was 2 hours.

As far as the books, check out the ase site, they have a lot of study guides that are free and sample tests. also google "ase" and a lot of other resource sites will pop up.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

*SNIP*

As far as the books, check out the ase site, they have a lot of study guides that are free and sample tests. also google "ase" and a lot of other resource sites will pop up.
+1

I found a good site (at least I thought it was) by google'ing it. I have it bookmarked at home and when I get out of work I'll post it up. It had the whole series of books for about 200+/-. I didn't look on www.ase.com yet, so I don't know if they can do better. I'm sure if you go to ebay you could possible find them there as well.

Personally, I'd go new cause I would end up with a book with some dumb **** drawn in it and highlighter all over it.

Quick Reply: Need some info on ASE cert tests