General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

info about 5.0HO

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:53 PM
HiTechRedNeck

Default info about 5.0HO

got some confusion about some things I found on an engine, but first the background. I went to the local pick-your-part, and pulled & bought a 5.0HO out of a 1993 Tbird that had been wrecked on the side rear quarter. I got the motor for $100. was looking for a roller block that I could either drop in or rebuild for my 1989 Bronco. the date codes on the block and heads matched for the time period that the car was built. casting codes all late 1992, assembly code early 1993, car built 2nd quarter 1993. I chose the motor cause it appeared orginal to the car, and didn't have any signs of being abused. once I got in home, on the stand, I started to take it apart. what I found, the motor looked great inside. hatching looked great in the barrels, forged pistons, bearings all good, no extra free play anywhere. double roller timing chain (still within spec), spyder & cross-bones, factory hydro roller lifters... everything looked great, I was feeling really happy about what I got (considering I worked on 2 other motors before this one, and spent 6.5 hrs at the yard)

heres the questions I ran across:

1st, I noticed that this motor has fel-pro head gaskets with ford date codes (date codes are late 1992, fit with rest of motor codes)& part numbers stamped in the corner. did ford use fel-pro gaskets on stock engines?

2nd, at the neck of the cam, near the distributor gear mesh, it has a stamp "GT" and XXXXXXXXX below it that go all the way around the cam. what cam is this?

3rd, there was no paint on the engine block or heads. not even any paint under the flexplate dust cover on the back. did ford stop painting engines?

4th, boy was this a good find or what, lol...............

thanks
Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: info about 5.0HO

100 dollars. Not bad.

Do you know the mileage on the car?

I think all were painted.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:23 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

The engine in my 93 was not painted.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
HiTechRedNeck

no mileage, that would be too good. the dash was a digital readout, and someone tried to remove it, and broke it. I tried to power it up, but it gave an error on the display.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
HiTechRedNeck

I guess ford figured on saving some $$ on the paint and figured the oil coating on the block was just as good. besides, warranty on engine paint? lol, as soon as it let the lot, that was the buyers problem, (still) lol...

oh well, that means I still feel good that I got an original motor. good. cause this motor has to last through all the other external upgrades before I start building my monster...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 AM
HiTechRedNeck

Default trying to ID "GT" camshaft

well, I'm posting this cause I haven't found any info. I have a '93 5.0 HO motor with a cam in it that is stamped "GT". anyone know where I can get specs on this cam? there are no other markings on the cam where the stamp is. I have not pulled the cam, so I don't know if there are any markings on the rear face of the cam. I just know that there are none from what I can see.

here is a picture of it...
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/4...e/s3010025.jpg

thanks
Dave