General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dry Sump? Transmission Choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 AM
mylesofsmyles

Default Dry Sump? Transmission Choices

Currently, I am planning a custom build based off a Factory Five Daytona Coupe kit car. The kit calls for a 4.6L Mustang drivetrain, engine, trans, etc. My build however will be quite different on many levels, thus I am opting for a more aggressive choice of components. For the engine, I have chosen Ford-Racing's 5.0L Cammer motor; transmission wise, I am hoping to use the ZF 6HP26 automatic found in Australian Ford Falcons. The transmission is a 6-speed automatic with sport-shift. Now, my reason for posting...

Has anyone attempted to retrofit such a transmission in a 4.6L Mustang? I am pretty sure, I can have built a custom bellhousing to mate it to the engine, but what am I looking at in terms of transmission mounts? Will such a swap require custom transmission mounts or should this transmission easilly swap the automatic found in any 4.6L Mustang?

Are there any kits available to convert any given engine to a dry-sump oil system? If not, how similar are the 5.0L Cammer motor and the Ford GT Supercharged Motor? I would much prefer to have a dry-sump setup as the motor will sit lower on the chassis. Is it unreasonable to exchange parts to convert a 5.0L Cammer into dry-sump, or should I just leave it. And no, I don't care to just use the Ford GT motor as it is supercharged and I would like to keep my motor n/a.