General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

carb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

Default carb question

Ive got a 2b carb. I know its a motorcraft but thats about it. Ive looked around it but cant seem to find any numbers on it or anything else that i would know to look for.
I do plan to upgrade later but I was hoping to learn a little more about carbs in general first. I'm running a little... well a lotta rich and dont want to have to take it in for something like that.
also anyone recoment and plugs and wires for a 302.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: carb question

Autolite 45's for plugs. Any 8mm wire would be good from a reputable brand (Accel, MSD, Autolite, etc.). You could even go with some 7mm or 7.5mmwith the stock points. Any upgrade in the ignition will be good for you. Pertronix with a good coil would be an economical choice. An all-in-one distributor would be next up, and finally a component system like the MSD 6AL would be the best choice for most street apps, which allows for a variety of trigger mechanisms, from your stock points to a crank trigger.

I would check your float level, power valve (make sure it isn't blown), and air filter for your rich condition first. Also, an incorrectly sized power valve will cause you to run rich as it will be turning on too early. A rebuild kit will come with a diagram of the parts in the carb and will help you understand how they go together...all for about $15. There are also several books that give you the same information. Edelbrock's website is also a good resource for how a carb works.