General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I know if I have ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 PM
kixeldorado

Default How do I know if I have ABS?

So while trying to diagnose another problem, it occurred to me that I'm not sure if I've got ABS or not.
The owner's manual did not come with my car, I had to download the PDF from Ford.

Of course, it's ever so helpful with its vague "ABS, if equipped"

So how do I find out if I'm equipped? Is it marked anywhere?

And along with that, is Traction Control an option, or standard on '99s?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How do I know if I have ABS?

You have 4whl abs on a 99 standard, the tcs was an option on the 6s and standard on the gt's from what I have seen.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Next time you're driving along at at least over 30mph,, JUMP ON THE BRAKES with both feet!!

If the tires lock up & screech to a stop, you don't have ABS

Also when you're starting an ABS car there is usually a light on the dash that blinks on momentarily

Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

down in front of the radiatoris a box on the passenger side frame rail with metal lines running in and out of it, thats the abs box
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Archion

You have 4whl abs on a 99 standard, the tcs was an option on the 6s and standard on the gt's from what I have seen.
They were both optional on the GT's. Oddly enough, I've never seen one without ABS.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

First off, tell us what kind of car you have. That always helps.

Easy way to tell: start your car. If it has ABS, a yellow light will light up in the gauge cluster for 5 seconds that says...........

ABS

Lastly, if it's a Fox body (93 or older) you definitely don't have ABS.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 AM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

Is it not standard on an '01? I'm pretty sure I don't have ABS b/c the last time I slammed on the brakes on the interstate I put flat spots on two brand new front tires.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 AM
kixeldorado

Mustang, '99.
I thought one could deduce that from the original post but I guess I give too much credit tothe reading comprehensionof others sometimes...

As for the startup light, it doesn't come on. I can see theplace for the lighton the cluster, but it doesn't come on. The Almighty Manual says that if it doesn't come on (if equipped) then something's probably wrong.
However, as I put in a separate post, I've been havingissueswith the cluster/idiot lights.

Hence myquestioning, so I can figure out which of the following is true:
a. I don't have ABS, the light doesn't need to come on
b. IhaveABS, and something's wrong.
c. I have ABS, and the other problem is affecting the ability of the light togo on/off.

Just trying to figure things out and pinpoint my issues...

I'll look for the box under the hood tomorrow, when it's light out and not freakin 25 degrees outside...
GreyStang's option might be a last resort.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Usually if there is something wrong with the ABS, the light will come on and stay on. You probably don't have it. It depends on how the car was ordered. If the car is a base model GT, then it would have had to be selected in the option list. It did however come in the premium package. Since it's a Ford, and Ford likes to do dumb **** like not include ABS standard like every other vehicle on the planet, it's safe to assume that you probably don't have it. Ford aways crows about how much less their cars cost compared to the competition, but they leave things like ABS, Traction Control, and other basic standard items as options. Well no kidding their base price of their cars are less. Everything is stripped down to complete basics.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kixeldorado

Mustang, '99.
I thought one could deduce that from the original post but I guess I give too much credit tothe reading comprehensionof others sometimes...

As for the startup light, it doesn't come on. I can see theplace for the lighton the cluster, but it doesn't come on. The Almighty Manual says that if it doesn't come on (if equipped) then something's probably wrong.
However, as I put in a separate post, I've been havingissueswith the cluster/idiot lights.

Hence myquestioning, so I can figure out which of the following is true:
a. I don't have ABS, the light doesn't need to come on
b. IhaveABS, and something's wrong.
c. I have ABS, and the other problem is affecting the ability of the light togo on/off.

Just trying to figure things out and pinpoint my issues...

I'll look for the box under the hood tomorrow, when it's light out and not freakin 25 degrees outside...
GreyStang's option might be a last resort.

Ask for help then make an (_|_) comment? Thats always nice. Since we're on the subject if you can't figure out if you have ABS or not... what problem exactly were you tackling before that brought you to this question and what makes you think your capable of tackling it?

Quick Reply: How do I know if I have ABS?