General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical problem.. may have really F'd something up

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:59 AM
praesepe559

Default Electrical problem.. may have really F'd something up

ok i have a 95 auto v6 im getting ready to sell, so im fixin up all the little things that dont cost anything but time. i was attempting to pull the lock cylinder out by sticking a small screwdriver into the hole under the steering column as shown in the manual. admitting my own stupidity, i did not actually read the section, but just read the caption under the picture and said "looks easy enough." had i read the section i would have caught that the battery should be disconnected. anyways, as soon as i put the screwdriver up there the airbag light came on and the module started beeping. now nothing electronic in the car works because when the battery is connected something is drawing power, leaving only about 6 volts. i tried leaving the battery disconnected for a few minutes to clear the memory but upon reconnect it's the same problem.

im not at all familiar with the airbag system, if thats even the problem. if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what might have been damaged, etc. i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 01:11 AM
praesepe559

Default RE: Electrical problem.. may have really F'd something up

anyone at all??? some new info, when i pull the fuse in the engine compartment for exterior lights & interior fuse box, voltage goes back up to normal. however as soon as i turn the key to the run position voltage drops to about 4. with that fuse pulled, i get a voltage reading across the open terminals which makes me think there is a short. however, i keep looking at the area around the bottom of the key cylinder where i was screwin around and cant find any damaged wires, etc. i also pulled the ignition switch and checked for correct continuity between terminals in all positions and that checked out ok. if anyone has any idea of what could have been "touched" and cause this let me know.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Grunnsetning

Default RE: Electrical problem.. may have really F'd something up

Don't just disconnect the battery briefly. Leave it undone for a few hours and before reconnecting it, touch the 2 leads together. That'll discharge and capacitors in the computer.