General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Proper gear to be in while on the dyno.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:23 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Default Proper gear to be in while on the dyno.

I was told that one must always be in high gear when on a dyno. Even in every video I've seen of cars on dynos, the driver eases into high gear, then mashes it. I saw a video today of a Skyline....from idle he immediately mashed it, and burned through every gear. I was talking about it with a friend and the conversation turned to which gear to be in. Now, since I have always seen (at least what I thought I've seen) and what I have been told, the driver should always be in hihg gear. What he said is that the car should always be in 4th gear, or whichever gear in the transmission has a 1:1 ratio. I understand why he might say this, but I didn't think it would really matter. Does anyone know for sure? Does a car doing a dyno run have to be in a 1:1 gear or do they normally go into high gear?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Proper gear to be in while on the dyno.

You can run the car or bike in any gear but for the sake ofcomparison it's best to run in as near a 1:1 ratio as possible.
Some high performance enthusiasts will run up through the gears while on the dyno to get a better idea of shift points.Bike racers would do this but I've never seen car drivers record this type of run.
Maybe I've been too sheltered from the high performance car builders for too long.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

You can run the car or bike in any gear but for the sake ofcomparison it's best to run in as near a 1:1 ratio as possible.
Some high performance enthusiasts will run up through the gears while on the dyno to get a better idea of shift points.Bike racers would do this but I've never seen car drivers record this type of run.
Maybe I've been too sheltered from the high performance car builders for too long.
I've done that for similar reasons. I have a modded auto so knowing the best time to have hte tranny shift is a great aset. As soon as my tweecer gets here next week I can reprogram the computer to shift at the best possible time.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: Chopper

I've done that for similar reasons. I have a modded auto so knowing the best time to have hte tranny shift is a great aset. As soon as my tweecer gets here next week I can reprogram the computer to shift at the best possible time.
The voices said I'd learn stuff from this site!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:01 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

So, cars with auto trannies just put the selector in "D" for the whole pull?

There must be a place you tell the dyno what rear gear ratio you have too I guess(?) Also if you've adjusted your driving wheel height?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

We ran my 06 in 4th for the 3 pulls.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jurnymn

We ran my 06 in 4th for the 3 pulls.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't 4th in your tranny a 1:1 ratio? That would equate to 3rd gear in the autos (in D with OD off.) Not that OD matters because it won't shift into OD at WOT anyway.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

I just confirmed from Ed Wright auto, FastChip Inc. That yes, 4th gear is a 1:1 Ratio.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

For an accurite reading you should always be 1:1. I lock my car in D with my laptop ( causae 4L60E's are cool like that) that way it won't shift down.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

So how exactly does a dyno calculate horsepower/torque? (I've never dyno'ed anything! lol) How would, say, changing rear gears, NOT confuse the dyno to thinking you have more horsepower?

Quick Reply: Proper gear to be in while on the dyno.