General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Straight-Six swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Straight-Six swap?

http://www.gotstang.com/profile.php?greedy

READ THIS ALL OF IT AND ASK ME IF I AM SURE!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Okay, so a lot of the parts were exact swaps or fit right into place, and some didnt. It has almost always been like that with cars. Many parts designed for the Fox could fit in the SN95 5.0's and vice versa. I could pull things from an Explorer that would bolt right up as well. I still haven't seen an actual source (article or something) saying that a New Edge is actually considered an SN95. Is there any valid source out there that says that the New edge is not an actual design and is nothing more than a nickname for a type of SN95?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry but your sources are wrong. Don't worry alot of people think that the SN95 platform was only 94 to 98 its just alot of people donot understand how Ford categorises there platforms.
Here's a little proof from Wikpedia. List of Ford Platforms I wish someone else would jump in and back me up. I promise you I'm 1000000% correct
More Proof

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: BraMas

I'm 10000000% positive about all 94 to 2004 being SN95 platform. New edge is nothing more than a nickname
If it's just a nickname and not a redesign, why is it so different and why do allteh sources talk as if it's a new design? It may be similar or have similarities, but I haven't seen any sources calling a 2004 an SN95 and I haven't seen any saying that the New Edge is the same as an SN95.

The 1999 Mustang marked the official 35th anniversary of the Ford Mustang, and it also marked the beginning of new era with yet another redesign. While the prior generation, the SN95, successfully completed the task of getting the Mustang back atop the pony car market, the performance car market was swelling up around the Mustang, with entries from not only domestic automakers, but now from Japanese entries. So, when the 1999 Mustang debuted, called the "New Edge" it put an emphasis on improving styling as well as performance, and the sharp new lines and increases horsepower did just that. While the New Edge was not a huge redesign in comparison to that which was seen when moving from the Mustang II to the Fox Body or the change seen in the Fox Body to the SN95, but the change was significant enough to be considered a full redesign.
The 1998 Ford Mustang would mark the final year of the SN95, and evidently the news of the SN95 coming to an end brought about a sales rush, as sales numbers jumped from around 108,000 to almost 176,000. This was surprising considering the relatively poor sales of the 1997 Ford Mustang, and also considering the fact that nothing had changed from the 1997 model to the 1998 model, except for the deletion of the dash clock, but it can be assumed that an extra 69,000 people bought a 1998 Mustang because they didn't like how the clock looked. The Saleen models were once again the same as the previous year with the S-281 and S-351, but to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the Saleen Mustang, the SA-15 was offered. The SA-15 was a dressed up S-281, and was very rare, with only 10 produced, and those 10 are easy to recognize due to their bright yellow paint and wheels.
I could be wrong and I can't say for 100% certainty... but I find it difficult to believe that these sources would ahve it wrong.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Well however you slice the math,, a straight-6 ain't fitting in either bodystyle

..I'm not sure, was a L-6 available for Fox's?

Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 PM
95ssn95
1st Gear Member

The problem with those 300 6's is that they are oversquare (stroke longer than bore) and so rpms are limited ,torque is maxed but they do last forever
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

if u wanna be real technical about it, the sn platform is just a fox body platform extended a couple inches.

I'm sorry but your sources are wrong. Don't worry alot of people think that the SN95 platform was only 94 to 98 its just alot of people donot understand how Ford categorises there platforms.
Here's a little proof from Wikpedia. List of Ford Platforms I wish someone else would jump in and back me up. I promise you I'm 1000000% correct
More Proof

ORIGINAL: samseed101

I'm 10000000% positive about all 94 to 2004 being SN95 platform. New edge is nothing more than a nickname
If it's just a nickname and not a redesign, why is it so different and why do allteh sources talk as if it's a new design? It may be similar or have similarities, but I haven't seen any sources calling a 2004 an SN95 and I haven't seen any saying that the New Edge is the same as an SN95.

The 1999 Mustang marked the official 35th anniversary of the Ford Mustang, and it also marked the beginning of new era with yet another redesign. While the prior generation, the SN95, successfully completed the task of getting the Mustang back atop the pony car market, the performance car market was swelling up around the Mustang, with entries from not only domestic automakers, but now from Japanese entries. So, when the 1999 Mustang debuted, called the "New Edge" it put an emphasis on improving styling as well as performance, and the sharp new lines and increases horsepower did just that. While the New Edge was not a huge redesign in comparison to that which was seen when moving from the Mustang II to the Fox Body or the change seen in the Fox Body to the SN95, but the change was significant enough to be considered a full redesign.
The 1998 Ford Mustang would mark the final year of the SN95, and evidently the news of the SN95 coming to an end brought about a sales rush, as sales numbers jumped from around 108,000 to almost 176,000. This was surprising considering the relatively poor sales of the 1997 Ford Mustang, and also considering the fact that nothing had changed from the 1997 model to the 1998 model, except for the deletion of the dash clock, but it can be assumed that an extra 69,000 people bought a 1998 Mustang because they didn't like how the clock looked. The Saleen models were once again the same as the previous year with the S-281 and S-351, but to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the Saleen Mustang, the SA-15 was offered. The SA-15 was a dressed up S-281, and was very rare, with only 10 produced, and those 10 are easy to recognize due to their bright yellow paint and wheels.
I could be wrong and I can't say for 100% certainty... but I find it difficult to believe that these sources would ahve it wrong.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I was gonna put that in there but I was having a hard enogh time convinsing him about the SN95 Part. I was saving that partfor Mustang 201
Old 02-13-2007, 02:24 AM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

just as you have not posted anythingh stating they are different, they share the same sub frame, the same engine bay and even the same interior, i bet you hear the word ignorant alot dont you you want facts

ya i guess since the entire drive train just bolted into place, the entire wiring harness was same length and fit every curve must be something wrong right, even the dash just bolted into factory locations i mean 0 modifications.

see below these are facts backed up by ford

1994–1998 In 1994, the Mustang underwent its first major redesign in 15 years. The design, code named "SN-95" by Ford, was based on an updated version of the rear-wheel drive "Fox" platform known as "Fox-4". It featured dramatically new styling by Patrick Schiavone that incorporated some stylistic elements similar to those on earlier Mustangs. [/align] 1998 Mustang GT Convertible and the optional "GT" Stripe Package, last year of the "Round" Body.[/align] [/align] [/align] The base model came with a 3.8L V6 engine rated at 140(1994-1995)and 150(1996-1998)hp (108kW) while the GT still featured the 5.0L V8, now utilizing the 5.0L Thunderbird intake manifold, a 60mm throttle body, and a 215 horsepower rating. The Cobra model also returned, with its GT-40 equipped 5.0L engine, now rated at 240hp (179kW). The Mustang was named Motor Trend magazine's Car of the Year for the third time in 1994. The Mustang Cobra convertible was selected as the pace car in the Indianapolis 500, making it the third time that the Mustang had enjoyed such an honor. As the result, one thousand pace car replicas were built and sold through select dealers. In 1996, the 5.0L Windsor engine was replaced by a 215hp (160kW) 4.6L SOHC "Modular" V8 engine with two valves per cylinder. This engine had been introduced in Lincoln models and was part of Ford's plan to modernize its engine lineup. The Cobra version came with a high-revving 305hp (227kW) 32 valve DOHC 4.6L V8. The Cobra's block, cast by Teksid of Italy, was an aluminum, cross-bolted block. The heads had split intake ports and 4 valves per cylinder. To compensate for the relative lack of low end response associated with these kind of cylinder heads, SVT also put an intake manifold with dual runners on the Cobra, with the short runner secondaries not opening until 3250 rpm, making these early modular Cobras more responsive at low speeds. The power output of 3.8L V6 was upgraded to 150hp (112kW). In 1998 the SOHC 4.6L V8 power was increased to 225hp (168kW) via a more aggressive pcm calibration, slightly modified fuel system and larger exhaust tail pipes. This was also the last year of the "Round Body Mustang." 1998 was also the only year that the "Sports" packaged was offered. It included unique black stripe (regardless of car color) on the hood which extended over to the wheel wells. [edit] 1999–2004 A refreshed model with Ford's "New Edge" styling themes came in 1999. Gone were many of the soft lines of the early SN-95s. In 1999, Mustang GT's power increased to 260hp (194kW) at 5250rpm and 302ft·lbf (409N•m) of torque at 4000rpm; via the new "Power Improved" (PI) heads, cams, and intake manifold. The new 2-valve SOHC 4.6L Mustang exhibited characteristics associated with a performance engine when compared to the performance behavior of the earlier 2-valve SOHC 4.6L engines. [/align] 2001 Mustang Cobra SVT[/align] [/align] [/align] The Mustang GT was now capable of low 14 second 1/4 mile ETs with 100 mph trap speeds compared to the 98 GT's mid-14 second ETs and 93-95 mph trap speeds.[3] Ford did leave many of their fans disappointed however, as there was a rumored (and spotted) GT with a 5.4 SOHC V8 with a 290 horsepower rating. However, this latter version was never brought to market. On the V6 models, split-port induction replaced single-port induction, which increased the base model's power to 190hp (142kW). While the Cobra claimed 320hp (239kW), some magazines and owners contradicted it. 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords claimed that it actually exceeded the torque rating, but didn't quite match the power rating. Ford responded to complaints by issuing a recall on 1999 model Cobras, which were given computer, intake, and exhaust improvements, to match the original claim of 320hp. As a result, the Cobra production was halted in 2000 (except the limited Cobra R) while the company was developing new parts to regain the missing power. The changes were incorporated into the 2001 model and the Cobra could achieve 1/4 mile times in the lower to mid-13 second range. [/align] "New Edge" Mustang convertible[/align] [/align] [/align] As a "modular" family, the heads on the earlier 4.6L SOHC motors can be exchanged with "Power Improved" heads as offered via the Ford Parts Catalog. Due to a different combustion chamber and pistons, the compression increases to 10.7:1 and subsequently requires premium fuel to inhibit knocking. The Cobras received similar improvements, as a switch was made from "B" style heads (aka Splitports) as used in the early 32 valve DOHC Modulars to "C" heads (aka Tumbleports). Redline was set at 7000rpm for the DOHC Cobra. The Cobra also received an independent rear suspension which was also modular. This redesign also saw the realease two separate Special Edition Mustangs. In 2001 the Special Edition Bullitt was released to the public. Available as a hard top only, the Bullitt was a mildly upgraded version of the standard GT. Designed to be a handling based vehicle as opposed to an all-out-brusier, the car was factory upgraded with a lowered suspension (3/4 inch), subframe connectors from the convertible models, new Tokico shocks, and brakes from the Cobra (13-inch front, 11.7-inch rear). The car also reciveved an upgraded exhaust, re-designed intake, and underdrive pullies. These power upgrades led to a factory rating of 265hp, a gain of only 5hp over th
Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onegreedy

just as you have not posted anythingh stating they are different, they share the same sub frame, the same engine bay and even the same interior, i bet you hear the word ignorant alot dont you you want facts
Ignorant because I openly admitted that I don't know everything about mustangs and admitted that I might be wrong? Or ignorant because I asked for evidence? I love the irony though... someone saying I am ignorant, and then they use Wikipedia as a source to support their argument!LMAO

I do know one thing though, before I went around calling people ignorant, I'd make sure I had my facts straight about everything first. Aren't you the same guy who said that when his serpentine belt was squeaking it meant that he had a bad pulley? Any reason why you didn't consider the fact that the belt could be the problem? You didn't even mention a simple test to determine whether or not it was the pulley or the belt. You would just send someone out to needlessly replace pulleys hopnig that the problem would go away? Talk about ignorant.

And keeping on the topic of ignorance, you're long reply was nothing more than a quote from wikipedia. Do you know anything about wikipedia and how it works, or when it comes to that stuff are you ignorant? I'll tell you what, go back and quote that same exact article from Wikipedia (not from your own post.) Specifically, the part where it begins to talk about the 1998 Mustang and then the part that talks about New Edge Mustangs.

I never said I was 100% right. I just said what I had always heard and also quoted something from here that also said that. So far I have only seen rebuttals from Wikipedia which meand squat. As far as sources go, that is one of the worst sources imaginable.

Funny though, I'm ignorant because I don't know absolutely everything about Mustang designs. I wonder how much other stuff you don't know about. We already found two of them. I'm sure I can come up with a LOT of other topics that I know a LOT more about than you do...just off the top of my head I'm guussing you don't know anything about being a rescue diver in sub freezing ocean waters. I'm also guessing you don't know jack about piloting aircraft or jack about computer forensics. (just to name a few simple topics.) The difference is, I don't pretend to know everything htere is to know and then call someone ignorant when they don't know absolutely everything.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

yawn..... i almost fell asleep reading all that crap you wrote!

atleast you admitted your ignorant, you stated you knew the sn95 and new edge were different.and can only argue your point with no proof, until then good night!

Quick Reply: Straight-Six swap?