General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Having a little problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
STKClutch
2nd Gear Member

Default Having a little problem

I just picked a 98 Cobra. The battery is relocated in the trunk. Here are the two problems im running into. One is with the stereo, you here the winding from the alt. when the stereo is on, Im thinking this a$$hole wired the aftermarket radio wrong.

The second problem: Is that im smelling anit freeze, just changed the oil no bubbles or white in it, and i dont smell it from the top of the engine. What else can it be ? where should I look first.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:59 PM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Having a little problem

i have heard of what you are talking about, about the radio. . i believe it was a bad ground that was causing that. you might want to check all the ground and make sure they are clean and secure....

as for the antifreeze, check all of your hoses for leaks... it could be a lot of things... check the whole front end of the car and look for any leaks...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:26 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

yea its the ground, just make sure theyre all good and your radio should work fine
Old 10-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Check your hoses about the antifreeze odors. You should also pay attention to your guages and make sure you aren't overheating.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:50 PM
STKClutch
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the gauges seam fine Im going to do a complete inspection of everything this weekend
Old 10-21-2004, 05:13 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Yea and what they said about the ground... find a better one or make an additional ground for the stereo.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:45 PM
STKClutch
2nd Gear Member

Will do I have to check everything out.... To see how he ran everything. He had an amp in there and th wires he left in the car for the power remote and fuse where all skinny and def. such not be used to run any amp. so i have to make sure he relocated the battery right redo the stereo( the one he has in there is a POS). so hopefully everything will be done this weekend. Did the oil, this weekend plugs wires S belt maybe some pullies, I dunno i dont know if ill have enough time.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Especially make sure the battery has a good clean ground on a thick part of the car... not a thin section of sheet metal, the battery should also be grounded to the engine block and the block should be grounded back to the chassis - that relocation could play havoc on all your electronics if not grounded good enough... its possible the radio is just a side effect of a bad battery ground too so I'd check it out.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

is it an aftermarket amp? if so, i ran into this problem too, make sure the RCAs and power are not ran on the same side of the car. this causes engine noise to play through your speakers, don't know why, but it helped me. hope it helps you.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:37 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

that antifreeze smell could also be coming from a leaking heater core under the dash. try running the defroster and see if it fogs up the windows on the inside to verify this and hope like heck this ain't the problem as you have to pull the whole dash out to replace the heater core.

Quick Reply: Having a little problem