General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Swap Begins...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:35 PM
StangaTang

Default RE: The Swap Begins...

Thats a small block chevy and a 350 turbo trans.I use to be a chevy man but i got smart!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

Yeah...unfortunatly I'm putting a chebby in it...hehe...i'll just keep the hood closed so peeps won't know. Of course they will find out when they are all passing me with their 2.3L's.

Engine mounts on the chebby are about 2 inches more forward on the block than he 5.0L...found an S10 V8 adapter that will correct this relatively easy so I can line up with the mustang Kmember.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...4118_-1_123988
Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

Oh...and all that crappy wiring in the second photo is history (my motivation for the chev). I only need 1 wire to the HEI distributor and two to the starter. All that other vacuum, emisions, computer crap is history.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:43 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

every time this happens god cries a little inside. Now if what i dont get now is this, as far as big blocks, I would choose a chevy to work on they are so much cheaper than a ford, that I understand, but as far as small blocks ford and chevy are now pretty even, its not like it was a while ago when for was 3x what it cost to build a chevy. So my question is why put a sbc in a stang when u get more power from a sbf. the only sbc I would consider using is the ls1, but still wouldnt do it.
oh well[sm=boohoo.gif]
ORIGINAL: Li0nHart

Oh...and all that crappy wiring in the second photo is history (my motivation for the chev). I only need 1 wire to the HEI distributor and two to the starter. All that other vacuum, emisions, computer crap is history.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

So my question is why put a sbc in a stang when u get more power from a sbf. the only sbc I would consider using is the ls1, but still wouldnt do it.
oh well[sm=boohoo.gif]
I gotta go out an buy a ford engine...got a perfectly running chev with tranny in the garage with no home... The cost of the swap is less with the chev cause i already have a tranny for it.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:53 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

The cost of the custom headers alone are gonna cancel out any of your savings

& what about all the accessories like alternator & power steering.. is it all gonna transplant with minimal $'s?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

i still find this funny, that although the cost to build the motors has evened out, the cost to put a 351 and a 350 chevy are jsut about the same if not in favor of the 350. its just plain sad.

you almost have to think ford planned this.
ORIGINAL: Li0nHart

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

So my question is why put a sbc in a stang when u get more power from a sbf. the only sbc I would consider using is the ls1, but still wouldnt do it.
oh well[sm=boohoo.gif]
I gotta go out an buy a ford engine...got a perfectly running chev with tranny in the garage with no home... The cost of the swap is less with the chev cause i already have a tranny for it.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

actually no it wont, the aftermarket realizes that this is a common thing and they have started to produce quite a bit of parts fora "chevy" mustang. so he probably wont be that bad off.
ORIGINAL: GreyStang

& what about all the accessories like alternator & power steering.. is it all gonna transplant with minimal $'s?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ummm...nope...already got it covered...off the shelf shorty headers will work just fine....
Oh I forgot...my chev alterantor wont work cause ford uses like 500 votls at 1 million amps and chev only uses 12 at 150 amps...might have to find a way to step up my voltage and amp output.

Power steerng pump wont work cause ford is gravity feed and chev actually uses tranny fluid.

i'll never figure out how to adapt my tranny cooler lines either.

and OMG...the output shaft on the T350 tranny ain't the same as the original ford. I'll never get my drive shaft to fit. I guess I could always push the car around.

oh...cost of the swap is $512.78 US including engine and tranny, mounts, taxes etc. i can't even buy a running 302 or 351 for that price.

the orignal 350 has a mild cam and 4bbl carb..not sure of HP..probably not much...but it did push the truck that i took it out of to180km/h...i'm sure it will push the stang past 200...who cares I ain't gonna push it tht fast anyhow.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Everytime someone puts a Chevy in a Ford, God KILLS A KITTEN,

Quick Reply: The Swap Begins...