General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear-view mirror repair on '96 Cobra Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:03 PM
eroticryd

Default Rear-view mirror repair on '96 Cobra Conv.

Part of the mirror popped off this weekend while I was adjusting it. Because it is a convertible model, the mirror is of the variety with lights installed within it.

The base of the mirror is still attached/glued to the windshield, but the actual mirror/light assembly became detached from the base. I have manually tried to push the mirror back onto the ball joint of the base, but have been unsuccessful (it simply keeps falling off - maybe I need to use more force?). Looks like a ball-and-socket type of joint, where the ball is on the arm of the base and the socket is attached to the back of the mirror. Also, a clear "perforated" platic piece surrounds the interior of the socket - could this be what was holding it onto the ball and could it need replacing (but it did not appear to be broken)?

Anyone else have this problem, and do you have a suggestion on how I can put the mirror back on? I called the Ford dealership but they did not know why the mirror joint would've failed.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rear-view mirror repair on '96 Cobra Conv.

Take it to a autoglass shop to get the base of the mirror mount off the w/s. They have the tool to get it off without breaking the glass. Or if your bored, you need a tool similar to a fork but it only has 2 "fingers". They slide up between the mirror bracket and the mirror base to loosen the clip. Good luck with getting the ball back into the socket. It's not the easiest thing to do.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:42 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rear-view mirror repair on '96 Cobra Conv.

and yes the rear view is very important in a stang*L*..I'm sure you know what I mean