General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E Brake problems! Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 PM
BlkStangDriver

Default E Brake problems! Help

Hey everyone, im new to the forum. Ive been having some problems withthe e brake on my 1996 Mustang. I replaced all of my rotors and brake pads about a week back, and when doing that i had to take a caliper off to get it fixed. when puting it back on i had alot of trouble getting the e brake cable back on. i ended up taking my center concil out and unbolting the e brake to give myself an extra inch and i got the cable on. ive bolted the e brake back on. and it feels like new when pulling on it, but it isnt doing much of anything. im all out of ideas. I can drive down the road and pull the e brake as hard as i can and it barely slows me down at all. but my brakes work great. hit me up if you have any ideas. Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: E Brake problems! Help

Did you happen to use the Ford tool to rotate the piston inside the rear caliper? Or did you just force it back in? A special Ford (Mac or other tool) must be used to rotate the piston to release the e-brake cable. AutoZone sells or rents this tool for $35, I just bought it because it is a universal kit that works on many many other cars.

If that is not the case then lucky for you there is a recall on the e-brake for your car. Just call the dealership and give them your VIN, then make an appt to go and have it replaced.

You should not tell them what you did to the e-brake because it will void the warenty and they will not do anything about it, if you can put it back the way it was.

Did you follow the replacment instructions 100% or did you just wing it? There are little things that must be paid attention to. I just did the rear brakes on my wifes 96' and replaced a rotor and caliper bracket and I had no problems at all. Also did you make sure that the little pistons on the caliper bracket moved in and out freely? These should be lubricated about ever 40,000 miles to ensure long life, mine where and I had to replace the bracket.

Best of luck, and if you cant figure it out, no big deal, have the dealership do it for free

There is also an electric fanrecall with the car too if you ever happen to have a problem. You should read through all the recalls for your car.

-Eric-
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 AM
BlkStangDriver

While i was working on the drivers side i read somewhere that you use a C clamp, so i did and it when in fine after a little trouble. then i moved onto the passenger side and it wouldnt go in, thas why i had to take the caliper off and i brought it to auto zone and the guy used the tool for me and put it in and said the other caliper should work ok until i have to put new pads on again. but what you said sounds more realistic, except how would it affect just the e brake and the brakes themself? i checked the recalls a few days ago and that was just for the auto adjuster releasing if the e brake is not on all the way, and it looks to me that someone already brought it in befor i got ahold of it because it has a pretty simple safety bracket on it that would stop it from moving so that isn't a problem. I guess il start looking for new calipers to go with the rest of the new **** i put on it lol.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yeah, you may have just seriously damage your caliper.

What I would do is rent that tool, take the pads off and try to reverse what you did wit the tool, see if it will come back out, then put it back in. Its just a guess and no where near backed up with experiance, but try anything to get it to work.

I have an extra pair of calipers for a 96' GT if you want to give an offer. They have about 115k on them when the GT blew its engine cause the kid was a dumbass and then sold it to where I worked (Pick-N-Pull) for $150 dollars, LMFAO!!! I got almost all the parts off that car and thats why I have the rear's, I bought the whole rear suspension and many other peices.

The engine and trans were toasted so I let other people have it.

-Eric-
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 AM
BlkStangDriver

ya i think im just gonna go pick up some new rear calipers, i dont think the GT ones will fit because im a base model and the GT has a bigger rotor hence a bigger caliper. plus some new ones would look really good with the new rims i just put on it today, Black Bullitt rims 18x10 deep dish in the back and 18x9 in the front. got them all new off ebay for under a Grand with AA rated tires. hella good deal.
Thanks for the help, ima try the new calipers this weekend an ill tell you the results.
By the way good steel on the GT parts. i would be interested in the rear end but i have all the parts for mine sitting in another car at my parents bodyshop where i work, just got to find the time to put them all in.
-Shane