General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

learn to build engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 02:24 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

Default learn to build engines

hey, I have been thinking about learning how to build engines (ive always wanted to but never had time) but i dont konw where to start.
I also dont know anyone around where i live to teach me in person (in brooklyn/midwood) and dont think i have the time to take a course.

but i know i could spend a few hours at night every day, no problem -

question is, where wouild i start, given these conditions?

would the full engine kits (like on moranav6racing) be a good thing to look at (thogh they start st 3500 bucks)
id also consider ebay'ing a used engine but i always seem to find the ones that say local pickup only and they in places i cant get to so easily....

i relaly want to learn ,
if anyone can answer or comment on any of that, id be very grateful
Old 10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: learn to build engines

Buy a book on that certain motor first. it need to have all the specs in it. Always take your time when building dont rush at all, get all the needed tools and building keep all dirt away from the motor, i spec of dirt/sand can wipe out a bearing. If ya run into trouble you can ask people in here also to talk you into fixing probably anything. Here's my 2 lastest builds

[IMG]local://upfiles/6214/95F47BA7817944EBB28EE9B649FEC0CB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6214/1A69FC3CBEA7454EB3A10A77DF69F631.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

so youre saying the best thing is to go and find an old basic motor (ford, chevy) and some of those books from amazon? my issue with starting with a used one was just that if something isnt working right, i dont have the experience to know what the problem would be.

also, if i want to build an engine but not put it in a car yet, how would i do that - i know id need an engine stand, but what else? i assume it would need oil, fuel ,,blah blah -- all the things that a normal engine needs to run in a car - how does all that work when you are working outside of a chassis?
Old 10-26-2004, 03:32 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you can run an engine on an engine stand but you will need to install the flywheel/flexplate and a bellhousing to hold the starter on it for it to start. with a carbureted engine, you can use a fuel jug for the fuel supply to the fuel pump but this isn't real practical on an injected engine to run it out of the car since you need the ECU to control the engine.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:40 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

so if i want to learn this but have a car to experiment with,,,im out of luck?
i dont want to screw with the mustang since its my only car and i dont want to break it if i dont know what im doing...

i also dont have space right now for a whole car, but i figured i could put an engine stand in the corner of the garage....
Old 10-26-2004, 03:47 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Best thing would be to learn how a motor works inside and out, you can do this by reading or whatever. Once you know exactly how an engine runs and the parts made up in it, then you should find someone, anyone experienced, to show you how to build an engine the right way. This is important because those with engine building expreriece can show you things to look out for, the proper way to check clearances, etc.. hands on kinda work. At that point, have a reference manual in front of you for torque & clearance specs, etc. and build one yourself. Thats how I learned.

I learned the ins and outs of engines and parts working at a parts store. I attended seminars, became ASE certified in parts, etc. To be ASE certified in parts, you not only had to know what a part was by looking at it - you had to know what it does, what it fits, where its installed and how to install it, symptoms of going bad, and how to check it. There were no notes to look at, you had to learn it. Once you have an understanding of how those parts work, and work together, you can figure damn near about anything out.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:55 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

yeah, learning from someone is what i want to do ideally, but i dont know anyone around here -
do you know (or does anyone) anyone willing to lend a little knowledge in the brooklyn/manhattan/newyork area?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:50 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

i live in rochester if u wanna take the 6 (?) hr trip to my house. lol. there is a book in summit on building engines. i sugest you read that and really understand how it works. and yes, learn on a carbureted, OHV engine. it is much easier to get running.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:58 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

if i got a good book, would it explain not just about the engine but also how to get it running externally?
hehe, thanks for the invite though 6 hours is faaar - (though 6 hours in the stang is always fun)

any reccommded books i could find in barnes and nobles? that way i can stop by on the way home from work and pick one up
Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 PM
ceyko
2nd Gear Member

Although I have not been an Auto Mechanic in years, when I was...the best way to learn was to find someone good at what you wanted to learn and be his (may her) lackey. Work for little to nothing, but ask questions and fetch tools, coffee, doughnuts...etc Hell, now that I am back into Mustangs, when I get back to the states I plan to do the same thing. Find a local shop and work for free if I can just to learn stuff. Even if it is only on weekends.

Take care,
Ceyko

(Even if your working for free, you still have to make yourself useful btw.)

Quick Reply: learn to build engines