General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horrible noise when trying to start-starter again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Rhondakay

Default Horrible noise when trying to start-starter again?

We have a 90 mustang, One day we were driving down the road and it just died on us, just stopped running so we pulled over and after alot of wondering, we found out that the fan had burnt out which burnt up some wiring needed to start the car. We wired a toggle switch to the inside of the car and used that and the car started up fine.(and bought a new fan)
But after that day the car started making this horrible loud noise when we tried to start it, within a day or so youd have to start it 4-10 times just for it to start up. So we replaced the starter. After that it started alittle weak it sounded but with no noise like before. The flywheel looked alright, not too beat up and the old starters teeth were fine as well.
Well this morning my husband went to start the car and that horribly loud noise made its appearance again.
Our old starter when we checked it had become very loose and we assume that had something to do with why the old starter burned out (if thats what it did because once tightening it it still didnt want to start.) But with a brand new starter just put in what could be causing this? I thought flywheels were practically indestructable and this one barely looked worn down at all if any. What else could this be?
Were worried because its only been a week since we installed the new starter and once this noise made its appearance last time it only took a couple of days for the car to be basically unusable.
The noise is hard to describe, its very loud its high pitched but not squeally, sounds sounds sort of like a vaccum cleaner when youd start it.
WIUUUUUUUU!
Sorry, lol
Old 10-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Horrible noise when trying to start-starter again?

You either got another bad starter, or you need to shim it.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Rhondakay

Well im not sure what "shim" it means so im looking that up now. I think the starter was rebuilt i believe but apparently had a lifetime warranty so maybe that will save money if thats the case. It just shocked us that once we put the new starter in the noise went away but it creeped its way back in this morning.[:@] Hopefully the problem isnt anything major $$. I forgot to mention that we got this from my father who had put an 87 transmittion in it, im not sure if that would affect it at all. Im relaying the messages back to my husband so thanks for the suggestions, i hope your right.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Yeah. Rebuilt parts = junk. They don't save you any money in the long run. Also when you return one under warranty, the 2nd time it breaks typically it's no longer warranteed and you are on your own.

The best thing you can do is try shimming it, but if it's whining like a vacuum, the gear isn't reaching your flywheel, sounds like a crappy starter. Bite the bullet and buy a brand new starter. It'll last for a long time.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Rhondakay

We really werent thinking about money, we just dont know much about parts, his dad didnt teach him much and i just paid attention to mine. We went to autozone so im basically assuming its rebuilt. I looked up shimming and i take it you just buy a kit.
Wed like to get a new starter but right now were getting pretty tight on $$ with the time of year, new set of tires (when we thought the starter was fixed) and some family loses.
But your right, it makes that very very loud howling vaccum like sound when you turn the key, but then when you turn the key off then back on its starts up, at least for today, it went fast last week, we went from only needing to retry cranking it one time to endless times and once its cranked its fine, no noise at all.
I wonder why the starter helped at first but then suddenly that loud noise came back, i just dread taking that starter out, theres no room there at all and we both end up killing uorselves trying to get to the bolts. [X(]
Old 10-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I sounds to me like the flywheel teeth are about gone.The starter will catch sometimes and sometimes it won't.Is there any way the flywheel could be loose?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Rhondakay

Well im not sure, i wish husband was home, hed be better at answering thsese questions, just came here when i heard it do that on his way to work. When we took the starter out we looked at the flywheel teeth.
He said they may have had slight wearing but he didnt even think it was enough to file them or anything as one of his buddies suggested, so if anything the flywheel could be loose?
The old starter actually had looked like something grinded it OUTSIDE of where the teeth even are, we worried it was the flywheel and checked but it looks alright, lose may be an option i guess, it was just put in about 3 months ago i guess im just baffled about how the new starter helped at first but then this morning it started making that horrible noise again, but maybe the starter is crap. Just a bad bad coensedence.
I just get the feeling it has to be something else if we replaced the starter and a week later it starts up again.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:02 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

when putting the starter in place, make sure it goes into the recess all the way so that it sits flush with the mounting point in the bellhousing. sounds like the starter gear ain't quite reaching in all the way to engage the teeth in the flywheel properly for full engagement of the teeth in the flywheel teeth. once it's in all the way, then tighten the bolts and try it and see if it doesn't work right now.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Rhondakay

We will try that, Whats been happening is we will tighten the starter and it will start ok, but then once we park, go in wherever we are and come back out, it makes that noise again, when we check the starter its ALITTLE loose. So something is making it come lose everytime it tightened and started 1 or 2 times. My husband said it probobly needs new bolts and nuts added to the other side, right now its being held in my 2 bolts and no nuts. I hopefully it is something as simple as the bolts not staying tight.
What you said made since because it only makes the noise after the starter MYSTERIOUSLY gets lose after being started and im sure the starter being lose isnt really helping it line up with the flywheel.[&:]
Old 10-31-2004, 10:54 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

If it isnt lining up with the flywheel properly then everytime you try to start it its gonna tear the teeth up. Best thing to do is go back to AutoZone and buy some Locktite for the threads and see if that works. If it is tight and turns right then you wont need to worry about the shims... but if its tight and still makes the grinding noise then you might wanna look into them.

And you may have bare spots on the flywheel already unless you dropped the tranny and looked at the whole thing or turned the crank really slowly to inspect it all over. Ive replaced about 10 flywheels on Hummers in the past year and some spots are really inconspicuous looking from the outside in.

Quick Reply: Horrible noise when trying to start-starter again?