General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diablo Tuner Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:36 PM
ceyko
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Diablo Tuner Forum

Ah, that sounds cool for when racing, but harder on the tranny over time?

Take care,
Ceyko
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 PM
GT00_80
1st Gear Member

Generaly only when you are gettin' on it.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:42 PM
GT00_80
1st Gear Member

Driving slow.... shifting softer...... full throttle..... shifting firmer. Get the idea? Just remember if you baby it too much.... it'll run like a baby.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:45 PM
ceyko
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I think I got it. It'll shift firmer when really on it, but nothing to worry about when doing normal driving? Thanks man, appreciate it!

Take care,
Ceyko
Old 11-03-2004, 12:13 AM
GT00_80
1st Gear Member

Any time!!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:16 AM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ceyko

As an FYI, I email diablo's tech support about the 87 octane tune. They were very general in response and basically said that they don't support 87 octane with their cookie cutter load and that a 120 dollar (not including the 35 dollars kit for the pc) custom tune would be needed to use 87 octane.

I guess maybe I can ask my questions here and get better answers.

1. I want to use the tuner to improve my automatic transmission characteristics. This should not require better gas. Based off the screen shots, you can adjust shift firmness. What is the advantage to making it firmer as opposed to looser? What are the disadvantages.

2. Has anyone had experience with the MicroTuner AND the Diablosport Predator? I know the Microtuner has some built in tunes for 87 and higher gas. I just don't know if you can get good custom tunes - one day I'll have a SC.

3. Has anyone used the Diablosport Predator higher octane tune, running 87 octane in a Mustang? I don't really want to pay 120 for a custom tune until I have some more stuff on my car.

Maybe others have the same questions, so hopefully this will be a useful thread.

Take care ya'll, and thanks for the previous posts and any future.

Ceyko

i don't have the predator, but i am still trying to get familar with it. you can call these guys whenever you have any diablo questions... these guys are great tuners and do an awesome job. DynoTuned Performance ask for Brent 757-549-3966
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ya i have a shift kit in my aod and i dont even notice it while drivin from A to B unless i womp on it when a damn ricer thinks his fart pipe makes his POS into a race car
Old 11-03-2004, 11:18 AM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Ah, that sounds cool for when racing, but harder on the tranny over time?

Take care,
Ceyko
Yes and no. A firmer, quicker shift means less slipping of the clutch. In effect, the clutches will last longer. However, a quicker shift is done by increasing the line pressure. This puts more pressure on the seals. Too much can cause leaks. There's more stuff about this on www.tccoa.com. Their section on transmissions should answer a lot of your questions.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:29 AM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

As an FYI, I email diablo's tech support about the 87 octane tune. They were very general in response and basically said that they don't support 87 octane with their cookie cutter load and that a 120 dollar (not including the 35 dollars kit for the pc) custom tune would be needed to use 87 octane.

Ceyko
I don't think that's entirely true. I remember reading some FAQ or response from a Diablo dealer about the 91 octane issue. The Diablo tune is basically doing what a Timing Adjuster does. It advances the timing to squeeze out more performance but this requires running a higher octane fuel so you don't get pinging. You can take the Diablo Predator's Performance Tune and back off the timing setting until you don't get any pinging with 87 octane. You won't get the most out of the Performance Tune though.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 PM
ceyko
2nd Gear Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the posts. This all makes sense. Propellerhead - What your saying definetly makes sense - but it seems worth the sacrifice.

As an FYI, 5.0 Mustang has an article about the Predator for a 4.6 SOHC. They raved about it, but I have not been reading those magazines long enough to tell if they'd actually complain.

Additionally, I tried to get more information from diablosport via tech support about an 87 tune. I think it goes right along with what propellerhead said. They say they'll improve tranmission shifting, and gas mileage with an "87 Octane tune". I personally think it is BS that you'd have to pay extra for that. However, it should be easy enough to get the tuner and
1. Change it so the speedo is right for gears
2. bump up the shift firmness a bit and monitor...continue and bump back when overdone.
3. bump timing and monitor - continue until not right.

Plus they have that data logging stuff that might be useful for troubleshoot the timing side of life. All-in-all, the predator seems like a better purchase over the Microtuner. The Microtuner seems limited in configuration and outdated - even though it does come with a base '87 tune.

Hopefully this information is useful to more then just me. haha

Take care everyone and thanks for the help.

Take care,
Ceyko

Quick Reply: Diablo Tuner Forum