General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

My Tempo...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 PM
stieny
3rd Gear Member

Default My Tempo...

A question for all you ford fans....

I have a 1990 tempo that I bought for 250 bucks so the stang sits in the gargage on crappy days. It has been acting alittle weird and was hoping you could help. When I go to start it after it sits for more than 24 hrs, it has a hard time starting. It will turn over but sounds like its running on 1-2 cylinders. If you can catch it, you can give it alittle gas and rev it alittle and it will smooth right out and run perfect.

But if you let it sit for less than 24 hrs, maybe like 10 hrs or a days worth of work, it will start up and have a slight miss for like 30 sec and then go away.

If you let it sit for, lets say 4 hrs or less or when the motor is warm, it will start right up and run absolutly perfect. No miss.

I'm not exactly sure whats wrong. Maybe bad engine temp sensor? When it does have a miss you can gas it and it will go away almost immediately and never miss again, only when it starts and its been sitting for awhile. Runs fine in every other aspect. It had a real bad miss when I got it due to really ****ty plugs and wires. I changed those and it runs fine. The cap and rotor looked brand new.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone
Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: My Tempo...

Could be a number of things to include a clogged fuel filter. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

If it had a carb, I'd have all kinds of answers on that one. The fuel filter is probably far fetched, but maybe a clogged injector. Ever dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:46 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

So you are saying that fuel injected cars dont have fuel filters??? Someone needs to go back to mechanics class... lol
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 PM
stieny
3rd Gear Member

I replaced the fuel filter when I got it, and used fuel injector cleaner before it started acting up. It only does it when the engine is cold, thats why I was thinking bad engine temp sensor.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Well im thinking if its a bad Eng Temp Sensor that it wouldnt clear up as fast as you say it does... would it?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

So you are saying that fuel injected cars dont have fuel filters??? Someone needs to go back to mechanics class... lol

Don't be a beat off. I'm saying that the car wouldn't miss fire when it's cold because of a fuel filter being clogged.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:56 PM
stieny
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

Well im thinking if its a bad Eng Temp Sensor that it wouldnt clear up as fast as you say it does... would it?
Maybe not, but I let it sit for like 3 days in a row and went to start it and it keep sputtering out and I kept trying to start it until my brand new battery was almot dead. I finally got it started. So I'm not sure....
Old 11-02-2004, 12:13 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Im not big on PIMPO's so I cant really say. Maybe it is a clogged fuel injector or filter or bad wire or even some bad plugs. Check it all. lol
Old 11-02-2004, 12:21 AM
stieny
3rd Gear Member

haha...PIMPO...I like that. I replaced that plugs and wires so I doubt thats the problem not to mention it runs fine any other time except cold start up. Hmmm...maybe I should just pray it starts every cold day. lol

Quick Reply: My Tempo...