General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can more than one car use the same Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can more than one car use the same Tuner?

What website is this on ??
Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

What website is what on, a tweecer? It's just tweecer.com. Or are you asking about a way to tune multiple cars? You do all your tuning with a tweecer through a laptop. You plug the tweecer into J3, and plug the USB cable into the laptop.

It's like I said above, you put tweecer on Mustang A and tune it to your heart's content. Once you have the perfect tune, you save the bin file. That bin file now contains the perfect tune for your car...or at least the tune that you specifically want. Next go to car B and do the same thing. And on to car C, etc. When all is said and done, you have multiple tunes saved for multiple different cars. Then you just simply dump the bin down onto a chip and put the chip in the J3 slot and there you go. For the final car (or whatever car you want) you just leave the tweecer attached to it and you won't need to burn anything for that one.)

It's a cheaper alternative if you know what you're doing and need to get a tune on multiple cars. You're doing all the hard work yourself. All that's left is to have the chip done which will be fairly cheap in comparison. You can even datalog the runs to see exactly what needs to be changed. Those can also be saved and played back later.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

First of all, the SCT and Diablo type handheld programmers are designed to download and store the factory tune prior to uploading any pre-programmed custom tunes. As long as that particular vehicles stock tune remains in the memory of that programmer it can only be used for that vehicle. Once you download the stock tune back into a vehicle the programmer then becomes free to be used on another vehicle.

As for the TwEECer and TwEECer R/T, the units Ive tuned with do not plug into the J3 port, they plug between the computer and the harness itself. Unless they've made some drastic design changes I believe thats how they all are. You make it sound so easy, just tune, save, unplug, then onto the next one. Its not really that easy as the TwEECer requires a rather large commitment and a desire to learn how to tune before you can use it effectively. Also, burning a chip using the bin file you saved isnt as simple as you make it sound either. You'll need to purchase the chip burning software andequipment as well asblankchips. Unless you plan on burning more than just a few chips this can be a rather large investment of both time and money.

For most people the "canned" performance tunes and the limited adjustments afforded by the hand held tuners are more than enough to satisfy thier desire to tune. Most would rather leave the tuning to the someone else rather than invest the time and money to do it themselves. Though, for the diehard do it yourselfer the TwEECer and other types of self tuning products are worth every penny and IMO the only way to go.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

So, even speed shops have to use handheld tuners on my car? And if I go to a shop to have my car performance/dyno tuned they will give me the handheld tuner they used for my car after they are done because that tuner is not usable on any other car anyway?

Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Spotty

Does the Diablo or a similar tuner stay connected to the car, or do you remove it once the tune is done? Can you return everything back to a stock condition if you want to? Could I tune my 97 Gt and then tune my 98 4.6 F-150 with the same tuner or would I have to return the first vehicle to a stock tune before moving on?I grew up with a dwell meter so this stuff is really confusing for an older guy.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

The tweecer does plug into the J3... Maybe there was a design change... but the current configuration utilizes the J3.

The tweecer J3 module contains the tune, so if you remove the module from the car, the tune goes with it.
If you go to Moates.net you can find the hardware needed to create a second J3 chip, and burn a tune to it.

The bad part about using the tweecer though is that the tweecer software ONLY creates tunes in a proprietary .ccf file format. Most other tuners use the standard .bin file format.
The tweecer can run and read .bin formats, but only saves to the .ccf format.
In order to use the Moates products mentioned above, you will need your tune in a .bin format.

There are some very good tuning software programs out there (which are free), which will allow you to create a .bin format tune. Then the .bin file can be loaded to the Moates chip, freeing up the tweecer for a second vehicle.

The tweecer does not 'marry' to a specific vehicle.

jason
Old 03-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

So, even speed shops have to use handheld tuners on my car? And if I go to a shop to have my car performance/dyno tuned they will give me the handheld tuner they used for my car after they are done because that tuner is not usable on any other car anyway?
Yes, If you go into a shop for a dynotune they will require that you buythe brand ofhandheld tuner they sell andthen use it to load the tunes into your car. At the end of the tuning session you leave the shop with the handheld tuner you purchased and your new tunes.

Does the Diablo or a similar tuner stay connected to the car, or do you remove it once the tune is done? Can you return everything back to a stock condition if you want to? Could I tune my 97 Gt and then tune my 98 4.6 F-150 with the same tuner or would I have to return the first vehicle to a stock tune before moving on?I grew up with a dwell meter so this stuff is really confusing for an older guy.
First of all, no the tuner does not stay connected to the car. You connect it to the ALDL port, flash the ECM with the selected tune, and then disconnect it and the new tuneremains loaded. As for tuning multiple vehicles, generallya handheld tuner is loaded with tunes for aparticular model of vehicle. This is because the different vehiclescomputers use a differentbase programming, I guess is the best way to explain it. Thier are programmers loaded with multiple tunes for more than one model vehicle,such asSCT's Strategy Flash Programmer but most are for singlemodelapplications.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

The tweecer does plug into the J3... Maybe there was a design change... but the current configuration utilizes the J3.

The tweecer J3 module contains the tune, so if you remove the module from the car, the tune goes with it.
If you go to Moates.net you can find the hardware needed to create a second J3 chip, and burn a tune to it.

The bad part about using the tweecer though is that the tweecer software ONLY creates tunes in a proprietary .ccf file format. Most other tuners use the standard .bin file format.
The tweecer can run and read .bin formats, but only saves to the .ccf format.
In order to use the Moates products mentioned above, you will need your tune in a .bin format.

There are some very good tuning software programs out there (which are free), which will allow you to create a .bin format tune. Then the .bin file can be loaded to the Moates chip, freeing up the tweecer for a second vehicle.

The tweecer does not 'marry' to a specific vehicle.

jason
You right bro, my bad. I was thinking of the PMS system. Your also right that thier is additional software and hardware you can purchase to enable custom tuning and burning of chips with the TwEECer.This would allow you to use it to tune multiple vehicles with the same unit.The problem isitrequires a much deeper understandingand commitment to learning aboutand how to tunethe ford efi than most are willing to give. I mean your talking about going almost back to the dark ages of tuning when a bin file was all you had to edit your tune. Its hard enough for some people to figure out how toplug the damn programmer in and flash thier ECM's let alone learning howto tune,dealing with bin files,and burningchips.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sfi

Not for the tune, but you can use it for diagnostic reason only . Once you marry the stock tune to your computer, it's locked to that car only.
+1 Thats been my experience
Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 AM
AussieMuzzy

Hi

sorry TedG954i dont mean to hijack your thread , it is just interesting reading

what other tuning software and hardware is available for FORDs eec4 and eec5 vehicles ?

1. tweecer
2. Diablo
3. SCT
4. ????