General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Ideal suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:33 PM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

Default Ideal suspension?

Lets assume you have an unlimated budget to do suspension work on a 99-04 GT that is your daily driver. The car will be driven at the track but it will only be a few times a year so there is no need for 10/90 struts and drag springs. What mods would you do?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ideal suspension?

tubular front end, adjustable drag shocks, struts drag springs, steeda drag front swaybar, drag radials, control arms, subframe connectors
Old 11-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

...Sounds like you want a road car and not a drag car. If that's the case, you would want progressive rate springs, boxed lower control arms, nitrogen charged shocks, sway bars, full length subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and maybe a panhard bar. That would go a long way for a road car suspension.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:26 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports makes a great variety of suspension packages for the street and strip. Check out there website for more info.

Matt
Old 11-05-2004, 01:55 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

Thanks I will check it out.

I am not completely sure what sort of suspension I want yet to be honest. I guess the way I see it is I want the best of both worlds (drag and autocross) but that can't really happen. I want to be able to drag it fairly well still but I don't want the car to handle like crap when I am driving it around off the strip. It would be difficult for me to make these kind of choices because I have never driven a car that has drag suspension so I don't want to invest a fair amount of money into my car to find out that it handles poorly. I have been reading the suspenion forum and looking into Steeda suspension and things so I can make an educated purchase when I finally decide to.

I have a few questions...

Drag suspension - For this you want alot of weight transfer to the rear for better traction right? Plus you want to remove weight, especially from the front? Thats what tubular k member and such is? Will a drag suspension be really stiff?

road/autocross type - This is more like lowering the car for a lower center of gravity and doing swaybars to help turn and reduce body roll? Do these types of suspension tend to be more loose or move stiff? How does it compare to stock and drag ?

I realize this is alot of questions so I apologize. Thanks for any help you can give me
Old 11-05-2004, 02:04 AM
tb03gt
1st Gear Member

beezy-
i am looking to upgrade my suspension system as well, i would rather have a car that handles well than gets awesome launches, but i still want to be able to race in a straight line every once in a while, so when you get whatever you get, please let me know what you got and how you feel about it
Old 11-05-2004, 02:30 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

I have been looking into the Steeda G trac suspension, it is pretty expensive but you can check it out at www.steeda.com if you are interested. There are three stages. I have been considering the springs, shocks/struts, subframe conenctors and upper and lower control arms for right now. Then later I may go back and get the sways and strut tower brace. Steeda also has drag suspension and some 5 link rear suspension. I have looked at a few other brands and so far I like the Steeda alot.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:57 AM
tb03gt
1st Gear Member

thanks man
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Beezy, if your looking for a straight line launch do the drag setup. If your wanting to be more of a corner carver then go with the steeda G-trac.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:34 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

What will my car handle like with a drag set up on the street compared to stock?

Quick Reply: Ideal suspension?