General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CHECK ENGINE after CAI install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

Default CHECK ENGINE after CAI install

So I installed my cai and about 2 weeks later a cel code came on.

What are some things surrounding the cai, that I could have screwed with that could send a code? MAF, wires, what else? I checked all wires which seem to be fine, left maf alone, assuming its fine (althoughit may have gotten a bit dirty during install, but most likeloy not.

Anyways, if I disconnect my battery and connect it 10 min laterto reset the cars computer, do you think that "may" get rid of the code?

My car seems to run fine except the fact that the cel light is on. My car is getting BAD mileage though. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CHECK ENGINE after CAI install

take it to autozone and get the cel code, they should do it for free...then that may tell you a little more. Wild guess but im leaning towards maf
Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

you can buy maf cleaner that u spray on and let it dry for a few hours and it cleans the sensors.....but you MUST disconect the bat. after a cai install so the computer can readjust, so if you havnt done that thats probably the problem
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

probably got oil on the MAF wires. Disconnect the batter, remove the air filter and take a look at the screen that's in line with your intake. It is probably coated in oil.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

I never heard that you MUST disconnect the battery after a cai install, is that true?

I know it was already said i'm just looking for confirmation on this. I did quite a bit of read-up before installing/buying a cai and I must have missed that key note if its true, which im assuming it is.

I also think it could be a dirty MAF. But if you're thinking i oil-coated my airfilter i didnt.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Disconnecting the battery is not a MUST with the newer stangs but it does make it easier for the computer to make changes to its tuning if it uses the factory setup vs it's learned tune from your driving.

The filter already hasoil on it to begin with. You need to make sure there are no air leaks around the MAF sensor or where it attaches to your intake manifold.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Check for vac leaks...but how do you know that the CEL is related to a MAF? Could be a totally different problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 PM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

THANKYOU SANDCRAKER21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the situation:

-swap stock intake for ebay cai
-2-3 weeks later as i'm driving down a street doing 55km/hr maybe I get a Check Engine Light/Car runs fine minus theBAD gas mileage
-drive with that on for about 2 weeks
-todaySANDCRACKER21 tells me to disconnect battery after cai install
-i got out and do it
-CEL is GONE

again thank you Sandcracker21 and everyone else for your input

this iswhy i love to use these forums
Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hookedonkronik

THANKYOU SANDCRAKER21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the situation:

-swap stock intake for ebay cai
-2-3 weeks later as i'm driving down a street doing 55km/hr maybe I get a Check Engine Light/Car runs fine minus theBAD gas mileage
-drive with that on for about 2 weeks
-todaySANDCRACKER21 tells me to disconnect battery after cai install
-i got out and do it
-CEL is GONE

again thank you Sandcracker21 and everyone else for your input

this iswhy i love to use these forums
If there is a problem that caused the CEL to come on, then resetting the KAM will only get the CEL light off temporarily.

YOU NEVER EVEN SAID WHAT YEAR MUSTANG YOU ARE WORKING ON...
I am guessing it is a Mustang...
Any other mods?

There is no need to reset the KAM (disco the bat.) when installing a CAI. The adaptive strategy of the ecu will just take longer to sort out the details for your new MAF configuration. Disconnecting your battery now shouldn't have solved any issue that would cause the CEL to come on.

When the CEL comes back on, pull the diagnostic codes from the computer. If you don't have a scanner, there is a link in my sig which will help. Autozone will pull codes from most OBD-II Mustangs, and only a few locations will pull OBD-I codes.

Either there is oil from the filter contaminating the MAF wires, or the CAI has put the MAF sensor in a poor sampling location.
If the wires are dirty, then simply spray them with brake cleaner or carb cleaner (after removing the sensor from the housing of course).
If the sensor is in a poor sampling region, you should get a code for low MAF voltage, or something to that affect.

The fact that you have poor gas mileage just drives home my point that resetting the KAM will do nothing for your problem.
It will come back.

Then again I have been wrong before. I hope I am wrong and that you have great luck with the new setup.

jason
Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hookedonkronik

I never heard that you MUST disconnect the battery after a cai install, is that true?

I know it was already said i'm just looking for confirmation on this. I did quite a bit of read-up before installing/buying a cai and I must have missed that key note if its true, which im assuming it is.

I also think it could be a dirty MAF. But if you're thinking i oil-coated my airfilter i didnt.
K&N filters come oil coated from the factory

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE after CAI install