General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

About Coolant Flush, please read. Thank You

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 AM
HBKHBK

Default About Coolant Flush, please read. Thank You

I have a very important question and would like hear some of your opinions and maybe experience or knowledge about my question.[/align][/align]I havea 2003 Mustang - 6 cylinder. I bought brand new with zero miles....[/align]I keep going to my dealer to have the basic check up and all...[/align]my car has now around 59.000 miles...[/align][/align]So I went the other day to have a 30 point check point check at my ford dealer (which is free)...[/align]and I do that every 2 months or so....[/align][/align]Everything checked out fine,...but2 things they told me should be done.[/align][/align]One was new "Spark Plugs" which I heard should be done at 60.000 miles...[/align][/align]and the other one was a " Coolant Flush " thats where I am having my concerns & thoughts on now.[/align][/align]I hear now so many horror storieson the internetabout a Coolant Flush and afterwards peoplescars having problems once its done and it damaging the head gasket...or damage the engine totally etc.[/align][/align]what is the truth to that...I mean they did not tell me why I would need a coolant flush,or anything , or do you need to have a coolant flush every now and then???[/align][/align]How can I protect myself...if I do have this coolant flush and my car is going to have some problems right afterwards"noises or cracking sound etc "with thehead gasket, failiuer because of that...because if something might happen,the dealer,would never take the blame and would say "something with your head gasket was wrong before hand or some other excuse"......[/align][/align]Cause so far,as of now....everything is fine with my car...never had any problems at all.[/align][/align]am I being to worried about something silly, or this a valid concern?[/align][/align]Whats your thoughts? ? ? ?[/align][/align]Thank You[/align]
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: About Coolant Flush, please read. Thank You

A flush will merely cause a later problem sooner! If something happens during any kind of a flush like the radiator power steering or tranny flush, chances are the problem woulda happened down the road! Don't sweat it, thousands of people get their coolant flushed and have no problems! It's a really good idea to get all the sediment outta there to prevent premature rusting!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Flushing the old coolant gives back the protection afforded by new coolant.This is corrosion and boil over protection.Coolant does not last forever,just like oil.Every two years is a good rule.Time is as important as mileage.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
HBKHBK

thank you
Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Have a reverse flush done. Get out the crap that won't come out on a normal flush. I did a normal flush on my 95 and always seemed to have rust left over. Did reverse flush and no more rust. I never heard of problems after a flush.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

The first place build up will be a problem is the heater core.

For the do it yourselfers. Disconnect the heater hoses. Blast water through the opposite direction.

Force water through the rest of the system.
Then drain it. It should be pure clear water.
Fill with distilled water, then drain. This will flush out most of the tap water.
Look up the coolant capacity. Divide that by 2.
That amount is how much antifreeze you must get into the system to make it 50/50.
Sometime even after you drain the radiator, you can't get all the intended coolant in without it overflowing. I usually undo a heater hose or if it has one, a bleed nipple.
If that doesn't fill it, top off the rest with distilled water.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 PM
JZTRK
2nd Gear Member

prestone sells a kit to do it your self it comes with a T fitting that you install on the intakeside of the heater hose. drain your system first and then you hook up your garden hose and turn it on and start your motor and set the heat on high and just let it run untill it runs clear out of your radiator oh and make shure the water flows out of the radiator be fore you start the car
Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

my experience was bad...I went to the dealership for trans flush and coolant flush around 65,xxx miles. when i picked up the car after the flush everything was fine I talked to the tech for a bit and then headed on my way. I got about 6 blocks and the a/c shutoff, then i noticed the temp was in the red and then the car died. Now this was because they didn't put enough coolant in, they fixed everything and i haven't had any problems since, but the flush itself was kinda a bitch