General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

free horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:49 AM
whitey2007
1st Gear Member

Default free horsepower?

i've made about 15 HP FREE on my 5.0 so far, taking out alot of sh*t, removing air baffle. removing egr and all components. is there anything else that maybe i don't know that i can remove add or something else?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: free horsepower?

This is free after recycling and adds power. This is called "Test Pipes"

Call around before doing this to find out who recycles cats and make sure that you will still be legal in your state.

Take your H-Pipe off, make a clean and accurate cut before and after each Cat leaving about 3" of length on both sides of the cats. Take them down to the recycler of your choice and have them remove the center section, take the shells home and use exhaust clamps to put them back on.

It is very important to go to a muffler shop or Ebay or whatever and buy two 6" long tubes per Cat that have the ID of the OD of the stock exhaust. Cut 1" into each side (not top and bottom, just top) so that the tube can make a seal when the exhaust clamp (Band) is installed.

You will need
*Eight 6" long 2.5" ID Tubes
*Sixteen Exhaust Bands

You could also do a cleaner setup but replacing the cats with new exhaust pipe using the exhaust clamps to put them on. With this you only needfour 2.5" ODtubes that have been taken to a muffler shop to have each side expanded to 2.5" ID and a slit put into each side and then purchase Eight Exhaust bands and put it all together (To re-use your cats if you get caught you will need the above mods parts needed.)

You could also take the cut section to a muffler shop and have them mimic the bend and length of each side (Both cats in 1 peice) removed thus cutting equipment down. There are a few more ways to do this but thats ultimatly it.

If that doesnt really make sense to you I can draw a diagram.
I did this same thing and each expanded tube only cost me $5 dollars (For the 6" ones.) Exhaust bands can be found cheap on ebay.

This complete build should not cost you more than what you can bring in for the platinum from the cats. And if you decide to not gut the cats then it is still a cheap mod.

Another mod that you can do that will only cost you the price of gaskets is port your upper and lower intake and the exhaust side of your heads. I can give you a link of a great porting kit if you want. Grizly tools have carbite burs from $3.99-$8.99. I spent $5 bux on mine.

Something else you can do if you want to go this far is take the heads off too and port the intake side of the heads and get a thinner head gasket to raise compression. I think stock is .042 to which you can go as low as .031 and raise your compression almost a whole unit (On a 5.0) you can get info on the gasket from SHM up in Canada.

Also check ebay, things can sell for so cheap there if you are lucky.

I know that all of those werent exactly free, but they are about as cheap as it gets.

-Eric-

Thats an easy free mod that will leave you with a little cash left over.
If you are afraid of smog laws and still want to do it then keep the cats and have
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 AM
roush17
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: free horsepower?

In terms of losing weight, an aluminum driveshaft, rear seat delete kit, and lightened flywheel won't hurt. Also, removing the spare tire and everything out of the trunk will drop a few pounds. Piece for piece, it isn't very much, but together it adds up fast.