General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Sputters and Is sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Default Car Sputters and Is sensitive

Hey all,
I'm new here and I have been having a frequent problem with my 1995 Mustang. It's a GT, 5.0, and sometimes after I start it, it chooses not to want to go anywhere. It runs but won't let me give it gas, seems like im starving the engine of something. Sometimes the car just won't start period, and then when it finally does, it runs like it did in the other situation. The exhaust smells terrible, almost like not all the gas is getting burnt. Once this little hiccup is gone it runs just fine and has the power it should. If anyone has any suggestions, or has had this problem or wants more infomation, please let me know. Im sick of having it die on me in public, it's embarrassing. Thanks.

-Matt
Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Car Sputters and Is sensitive

Sounds like you need a typical tune up that consists of a cap, plugs & wires.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Also try cleaning the MAF sensor.These things are sensitive and can cause all kinds of problems.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Tto all-
The car has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all MSD. I've cleaned the MAF sensor many times before, usually it doens't change how the car runs. You think maybe the unit itself is bad? Some other sensor maybe?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 PM
richinwa
1st Gear Member

Check the codes in the EEC system and do a key on engine running test and see if the PCM can pick anything up. One other thing about the 5.0 HO engine that I have seen in the past is that they (like all other ford engines) are very picky as far as plugs go. Alot oftimes these cars will run like **** with any other plug and gap than the factory plugs.[/align]Look on your emissions decal and see what kinda plugs it call for, it should also tell you the gap. It may also be as easy as a dirty IAC motor. When they get a bunch of crap in them they stick and as soon as it warms up it loosens till it cools down again and does it all over again.[/align]
Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

All-
The car has a check engine light on, its been on for over a year. I know these cars have an OBDII plug in on the driver side, but I also found an OBDI plug in under the hood close to the anitlock check plug-in on the passenger side. Neither of them let me pull codes, I've tried with like eight computer scanners, all of different brands, and still nothing. Im sure its telling me whats wrong, but I cant get the code out of the car. By the way, the car is hooked up to a 120 shot of nitrous, NOS recomends colder plugs for this size shot, which is what is in there. Further suggestions? Change the plugs out and not use the nitrous to see if it makes a difference? I didnt know these cars were picky about plugs, thats pretty lame.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Rashii46123

my friend had the same prob, and it turned out to be that his tranny was goin out, so if all of what everyone says to do doesnt work check the tranny

Old 04-13-2007, 02:08 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

There has to be a way to find out what code the computer is throwing. I think Autozone will hook it up and read them for free. Worst case you could take it to a Ford dealer to have them read it.

When was the last time you changed out the fuel filter and/or O2 sensors?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:29 PM
richinwa
1st Gear Member

If it's not letting you pull codes then chances are you have a bad PCM. You have to use the plug under the hood. The 5.0 HO was unable to read engine missfire so it is OBD I or better known as EEC IV.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

I ordered a new PCM, luckily I know the guys at the auto store so I get to try it before I pay for it, if thats not the problem I'm not out any money. I'm probly gunna run to the parts store tonight and get some 02 sensors and put them in tomorrow. Come to think of it, I've never changed them. I don't know what the recomended time interval on those things is? Also, it has a fresh fuel filter, replaced just last summer. If anyone else has anything they might want to add feel free. Update on the problem as well-when i get on the gas, say in second gear, as it climbs up in RPM's it hits what I call its "V-tech", just a blast of power. After that, the car runs great and with as much power as when I was stompin it down. Kinda like its freeing something up, or clearing its throat....? Strange, but its probly related to the problem....POST IT UP!!

Quick Reply: Car Sputters and Is sensitive