General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 b carb conversion to 4b

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:48 PM
evil351

Default 2 b carb conversion to 4b

I had my 351C with a 2 bl carb, converted to a 4bl hooley carb with a 4bl edelbrok intake, and since then it has not ran to expectations, the intake is a edelbrok 351C high performance 4V intake, but my heads are 2V not 4V was this done correctly

Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

Default RE: 2 b carb conversion to 4b

when referring to carbs, when you see 4v, it means 4 barrel

Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

2barrel heads should still breath acceptably,, not as good as 4bbl of course.. what cam is in the engine?

What of the performance don't you like?

Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
evil351

thanks tokinGLK
I just wanted to make sure it was done correctly, I was confused with 2 valve heads and 4 valve intake and two barrel and four barrel carbs. After the switch was done I've noticed there was white smoke coming out and strong smellof raw gas on my clothing.....

thanks evil
Old 04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Is it white smoke that really lingers?(oil)

Or is it whiteexhaust gasthat dissipates quickly?(Steam, i.e. coolant)

I'm assuming that when you did the swap, the seal between the intake and heads wasn't perfect, now coolant's getting into the combustion chamber.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

In classic terms, the 'V' in 4V stands for venturi. If you smell of fuel, you have a tuning problem. Smoke isn't good, either. White is generally coolant, which would indicate a big problem, especially since the intake on a Cleveland has no coolant going through it. If it has a blue tint to it, it's likely oil. This makes sense since you stated you smelled a lot of fuel, which can cause increased oil consuption.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:39 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

OMFG GUYS!!! C'MON!!! V = Venturi here, they arent talking about valves... Thats like.... Engines 101... You just learn that kinda stuff when you start learning even the most generic stuff. Its alright though, at one time we didnt know anything about anything

Also the problem you are having is that you are running a 4V intake instead of a 2V intake for 4bbl carbs. The 4V has massivly larger ports and putting that intake on a set of 2V heads will create extreem turbulance causing worse performance than stock.

The 4V runner opening diameter is 1.75" wide by 2.475" tall
The 2V runner opening diameter is 1.375" wide by 2.05" tall

Hope that helped a little.

-Eric-
Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Crap, looks like Colorado beat me to the "4V old-skoolinz"
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

While not perfect, your setup shouldn't be causing more problems than the stock setup. Even with the turbulence that NeoTokyo mentioned (great picture btw), that doesn't really explain the gas smell or smoke. Are you sure that the new carb is tuned correctly?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:19 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Strong smell of gas you say!!! YA THATS A CLEVELAND!!! WOOOOO!!!!

Anyways, I missed that post about the gas and white smoke, I read most everyone elses but I missed that part.

The only thing that I can think of when it comes to the white smoke is that you may have developed a tiny head gasket leak. For the gassy smell any poorly tuned carb or lose connection will cause that.

Also from what I have learned over the years, you have to have a smooth transition in port sizes, it will lower horsepower badly. Even if you have the 4V intake on there, all that air the 4V "Can" flow wont smash into the 2V port size because there isnt a density change or pressure change to force it to, so it slams it, creating a resonating field back to the carb that slows the movment of incoming air. Its exactly the same as the wave affect. Infact Mythbuster did an awesome segment about how sound and air waves travle.

So to add to the poor performance is the 4V intake. If it were a smooth transition then it would increase power because its going from a larger chamber to a smaller one smoothly causing a funnel affect where air resonance wont greatly affect it.

Lets see another tidbit is when air moves forward and hits the valve it stops and bounces back, thats why people do what is called "Runner Tuning" so that they can catch that resonating wave on its way back to actually force more in. This only works at a specific powerband though and generally used on race applications such as NASCAR where they are typically at a generalized powerband the entire race.

hope that helped a little bit [8D]

As for the car running poorly...
Can you send us a video of the car running, under hood, bring the rpm's up to 2000 by hand and show us the exhaust.

Quick Reply: 2 b carb conversion to 4b