General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
goatman

Default Sunroof?

Anyone had a sunroof put in aftermarket? Need some advice on it. Will it void the warranty?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Sunroof?

What warranty can it void...

It'll likely void the factory rust-free warranty on your paint job...
Old 11-30-2004, 09:23 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

only thing you need to worry about is putting in a sunroof will weaken the structure. i don't know if they make them for stangs specifically, but im sure you can have one installed.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:35 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

Most auto glass places wil put one in for around $200. It will destroy the resale value of your car.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt recomend it. it could hurt the structure of the car plus they can leak or be drafty, also i think the look stupid with the rubber seal thats around it IMO
Old 12-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: fast83gt

Most auto glass places wil put one in for around $200. It will destroy the resale value of your car.
Can't destroy resale value. If you tried trading it in and a dealership tried giving you less because of a aftermarket sunroof, they don't need to be in business. Same goes for cars in collisions that get properly repaired and dealerships try giving you less than what it books for. Tell them another dealership will give you book and they won't lose a sale over it, trust me.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:44 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT
Can't destroy resale value. If you tried trading it in and a dealership tried giving you less because of a aftermarket sunroof, they don't need to be in business. Same goes for cars in collisions that get properly repaired and dealerships try giving you less than what it books for. Tell them another dealership will give you book and they won't lose a sale over it, trust me.
Let me ask you Dan, lets just say two identical looking cars are for sale... both look flawless but one of them was wrecked and repaired. Which would you rather have?

Don't say it doesn't matter, because it does... sure both cars should (but not always... you don't know who did the work) be in the same shape, but would you honestly pay the same amount for a car knowing its been hit? The insurance companies took your opinion to court (along with millions in attorney's fees) and lost... and thats why now when you wreck your car you get a check from the insurance company for "depreciation" after a wreck.

Oh, back on topic... lol the stereo shop in the building next to my office put a sunroof in the other day... hah one of their crack head employees was on someone's roof with a sawzall goin to town... I was like wtf... dunno who's dumber the owner or the installer if you do it just be sure to take it to someone that knows what their doin no some place that installs stereo's
Old 12-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

i think i recall dan saying he compared his car to a friends 04 and his repaired car lined up better than the 04...
Old 12-01-2004, 12:53 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

hell when my car was hit on the side... it looks better now than before it got hit! can't tell in any way, still got a depreciation check and I still know that if I sell my car I won't get as much for it if the buyer knows its been hit
Old 12-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Very true, after my repair work my bumpers line up better than compared to my friends 04 GT and another friends 96 GT that's never been wrecked.

MD, if a car is properly repaired and looks flawless, and say it's parked next to another GT, which one would I prefer, logic says I'd take the car that hasn't been wrecked. But if you can't find any damage & there was no structural damage, then how is it any different than the car parked next to it?

That's like saying a car that goes in for warranty repairs is no longer worth what an identical car without required warranty repairs is worth.

Like you said, not all cars are repaired properly, and yes, some cars DESERVE to lose value because of poor repairs. But, like you, we've both had extensive repair work done to our cars, take into consideration that both of our cars were repaired back to FACTORY condition & even look better than new cars with lower miles & we even have less flaws, now you decide it's time to upgrade and get a new car and the dealership looks at you and says "Well, your Carfax report says you were in a collision that needed $2800 in repairs, we can't give you book value although there is no structural damage or any damage noticable to even a trained eye". I would stand up and smack whoever it was across the face with a baseball bat and cram it up his rear end.

Quick Reply: Sunroof?