General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Performance mods.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:25 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Performance mods.

Bigger will offer more power, but smaller will spool quicker.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder

what r stroker kits?
Requires boring of your block and you'll be using a larger crank. It's like going from a 281 block to a 302, without switching blocks.

I could really get detailed, but I'm sure Roundy will see this thread and give you the best response possible.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:46 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangGT804

I really likt that twin tubo system??? I might get that!! But im wondering if you could get that tt and a kb blower on the same engine???//// But i cant find the stage 2 kit?? And that is all i would need to reacc about 448hp??? No internals or forged anything?? Also is it better to get a bigger mm TT?? The stock stage 1 TT is 47mm while a upgrade version is 67mm. Is it better to go with the 67mm or 47mm TT???
You could get a tt & kb on the same engine, but it would be a big waste of money. Most of the boost created by a kb would run out of the compressor of the turbo at low rpm, & visa versa. It would pretty much be the same thing as running a kb with a big fan in the way of the exhaust. The only way to make this work is: at low rpm have a way to bypass the turbo's exhaust housing & plug the intake of the turbos, & at high rpm have the kb's pulley to where it can freely rotate & plug the intake hole of the kb. It would be hard to find space for this type of setup & be able to run good flowing piping.

The size of the turbo depends on what rpm range you want to have power. A small turbo will be more efficient at lower rpms meaning it will produce full boost faster, have less lag, & have a cool temperature at a lower rpm, but once at high rpm would be scorching hot & make a lot of exhaust resistance. A larger turbo will have best efficiency at high rpm. It wouldn't reach full boost till higher in the rpm range, but it would create more power & run cooler at higher rpm. While in the mid range the turbo would be hot. There would be less exhaust resistance. If you want to see more hp & torque #'s the bigger is better, but too big can hurt performance.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
StangGT804
I ♥ Acer

Ok i get you Issac!! Good look! These boards are alot better than some ive been to also!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Ok i get you Issac!! Good look! These boards are alot better than some ive been to also!!!
You should stay at this forums. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 05-30-2005, 07:14 PM
whathits14

Lol I know this post is old but I thought I'd add something to it. First off I have a 95' DSM which has a turbo upgrade and lots of other goodies so I know lots about turbos. These look like some damn nice kits, and I have seen a LOT of turbo kits. Actually looking to get a 4.6L sometime in the near future. As for bumping 450+ hp, I would only that on some serious race gas. The kit was a little expensive IMO, but it is nice.....If you are handy with a wrench you could fab it yourself for about 2500 less. The turbos on the kit are good, but you could get better ones....you would have to make some adaptor plates but some HKS dual Ball bearing turbos would rock. The spool really shouldent be that much of a problem for a car that is putting out 4.6L Look at it this way, a GIANT turbo will start to spool at 3800 on a DSM and reach peak boost at 4600. Thats out of a 2 liter engine, so 2 turbos that big (which is usually good for at least 500 hp....turbonetics 65 trim.....and as a single turbo) on a mustang would have no problem spooling but would destroy your engine in a second if you didn't get some proper mods.....I am not uber familiar with mustangs but the basic things the dsm guys do before getting a larger turbo are the following:

Exhaust....for anything over 400HP we get 3" U guys can stick to flowmasters...i actually have a FM muffler on my turboback...good ****, sets off car alarms
Fuel pump....you guys are going to want a 255lph wally or similar to feed enough fuel.
Injectors.....err we do it by cc's but for over 500hp we go with at leats 780's....but we only have 4.....get the same ones in the kit.
Boost gauge! THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL GET FOR YOUR TURBO UPGRADE! With a n/a car turbo'ed you *will* eventually **** up your car if you do not keep a close eye on your boost. Anything over 8psi on a n/a car without mad race gas will get you a blown engine. Forged internals will definitly be needed past 8psi....hrmm what else? Looking at the engine specs looks like you guys are running 9+ comp which is pretty high for a turboed engine. Get forged internals with 8.0 come and push that boost up to have a 600hp street monster. Try running 20psi like the guys on the website without a BUILT engine and you will need a new one.

How to save some serious dough. DO IT YOURSELF! Its actually fairly simple and your engine bays are nice and roomy. Buy a used IC core and weld on custom end tanks. You could save 700 alone doing that. Do the piping yourself....easy. I would however, buy the turbos new just because it would suck to get a used turbo and have one of them fail on you. The install doesn't look that hard, but that is relative to installing other turbos. For someone who doesn't know how to properly install a turbo it would probably be hell.

But sorry to shatter your pipe dreams, but you won't be able to make over 400hp on the street.....without other upgrades.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:24 PM
whathits14

Here is what a nice mustang should have to be safe for more than minimal psi on street gas.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:51 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

I really likt that twin tubo system??? I might get that!! But im wondering if you could get that tt and a kb blower on the same engine???//// But i cant find the stage 2 kit?? And that is all i would need to reacc about 448hp??? No internals or forged anything?? Also is it better to get a bigger mm TT?? The stock stage 1 TT is 47mm while a upgrade version is 67mm. Is it better to go with the 67mm or 47mm TT???
You could get a tt & kb on the same engine, but it would be a big waste of money. Most of the boost created by a kb would run out of the compressor of the turbo at low rpm, & visa versa. It would pretty much be the same thing as running a kb with a big fan in the way of the exhaust. The only way to make this work is: at low rpm have a way to bypass the turbo's exhaust housing & plug the intake of the turbos, & at high rpm have the kb's pulley to where it can freely rotate & plug the intake hole of the kb. It would be hard to find space for this type of setup & be able to run good flowing piping.

The size of the turbo depends on what rpm range you want to have power. A small turbo will be more efficient at lower rpms meaning it will produce full boost faster, have less lag, & have a cool temperature at a lower rpm, but once at high rpm would be scorching hot & make a lot of exhaust resistance. A larger turbo will have best efficiency at high rpm. It wouldn't reach full boost till higher in the rpm range, but it would create more power & run cooler at higher rpm. While in the mid range the turbo would be hot. There would be less exhaust resistance. If you want to see more hp & torque #'s the bigger is better, but too big can hurt performance.
I cant believe you answered that ?Thats one of the wierdest ?s ever