General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

blow off valve help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
91turbomustang

Default blow off valve help?!?

i just installed a blow off valve on a 2.3 turbo mustang but the air/fuel ratio gets messed up when boost is vented... the car dies everytime... what do i do? a bigger air flow sensor is what i'm told. but what is necessary for an 88 turbo coupe engine?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: blow off valve help?!?

Dyno tune the car at a performance shop that deals with turbos. You probably arent getting enough air or fuel into the mixture, or the psi is off significantly. There is also a chance that the blow off valve is too large for your application - ive heard of it before.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 PM
faststng902000

is it vented back to the suction after the mass air or does it just blow off. we were told that on the vortech kit the mass air has allready read the air so when u lose air in the system( by blow off) it screws up your air fuel ratio.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:21 AM
91turbomustang

it's blown off to atmosphere, i heard that if i get an air flow sensor that is 5mm bigger than my throttle body it should help the problem.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:12 AM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

This happened to me when I had my VR4. An open loop BOV messes up the computer because it expects the air to go back in the system, but when it vents to the atmosphere the A/F ratio gets all F**ked up. To fix it you can get a closed loop BOV or get a AFC. All turbocharged cars are meant to have a closed loop BOV, when it vents into the air its just waste. I liked the sound of mine but it hurts performance.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:12 AM
faststng902000

we where told that it needs to vent back to the suck side after the m/a.
try www.turbomustangs.com a lot of turbo pep i think they could help.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:45 AM
tyybo
3rd Gear Member

What happens if you just stop venting and recirculate?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:52 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you need a bov or bypass on a fi car or its gonna buck and run like crap when the throttle slams shut. you can run a bov only if you've got a blow through maf and are venting before the maf
Old 12-03-2004, 01:54 AM
nd_dsm

Right now it sounds like your venting. I know i had the EXACT same problem with my car while venting. Basically it was just throwing the maf off and what not and also making you run rich in between shifts, a simple way for me to fix that is dsmlink which gives me the option of No lift to shift setup, so i dont have to worry about running rich. Your best bet though to fix that problem is to simply recirculate, buy a piggyback tuning device or have the car dynotuned. The easiest way i think would be to recirculate the bov and then you should be fine.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:57 AM
nd_dsm

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta
you can run a bov only if you've got a blow through maf and are venting before the maf
Perhaps mustangs r completely different than the dsms, but when you say your venting before the maf with the blo through setup what do you mean? I know for us its a gm maf blow through setup and then the bov, so we would be venting AFTER the blow through.

Enlighten me a little bit, i could always use some more induction knowledge.

Quick Reply: blow off valve help?!?