General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Power windows wont roll up/down right...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:25 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

Default Power windows wont roll up/down right...

okay, the driver's side window was rolled down on a hot day (ac had been removed) and the motor for the power window kept going when it hit the bottom. ever since it will roll up most of the way then you'd have to hold the button for the window to go up cm by cm till it hits the top.

the passenger window didn't do the same thing. when it was rolled down all the way it didn't try to move the window when you pushed the down button. the driver's side did.

now i've owned this car for 5 weeks and both are doing the same thing, they didn't do this when i bought the car and i dont think i did this. i had removed previous owner's window tinting but i dont think that would have messed this up would it?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Power windows wont roll up/down right...

Either the motors or the switches are shot. I have no idea who sells either one.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:50 PM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

the switches worked fine before it started happening so it would have to be the motors wouldn't it?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:30 AM
aftlcc
1st Gear Member

I had a similar problem in my Ranger. I ended up getting 2 new window motors and putting stops on the gears so my windows wont roll ALL the way down. Now the stick up like 2cm. Both of my window motors got burnt up from having to lift the window so far. IDK. Hope that helps...
Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

i dont have a/c in the car, removed it so i have to have the windows rolling all the way downward so i wont do the stops thing. but new motors, thanks for the help guys! where can i get new motors for cheap?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:58 PM
angrystick87
1st Gear Member

Junkyard...

Before I went away with my door glass I had to replace both of mine. Just remeber to unhook the plastic "nipple" from where it mounts to the metal brace that holds the glass. If you don't when you start to remove the motor, the window WILL fall and WILL shatter all over the back of your neck.

If you have a hard time finding one at a yard, any online parts depot will have em... for my fox they were about $90per

good luck
Old 04-23-2007, 01:14 AM
extreme_21

Onestly, before you start ordering a new motor...I'd make sure the window regulator isn't bent. Most of these window motors stop due to resistance(a.k.a when fully up=resistance, fully down=resistance) If your creaping the window up on the drivers side, it will stop when to much resistance is caused. That being said, if the window regulator is bent or slightly out of shape or the window is just binding inside the channel. This will for sure cause the faults your having.
Also for the passenger side that will not come up, check if there is power to the motor when the switch is presssed via up/down..if there is power present, bench test the window motor. If you ran get the passenger motor to function correctly..start looking at the regulator for faults
Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

its been a while since i posted last. haven't really worked on solving this problem due to others that came up. but i saw on ebay (i know how people on here are against it) this thing that talked about problems and the descriptions fit mine exactly. it said that all i needed was to replace the bushings? its only like $10 with shipping. do you think it would possibly work?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
macaboveu

Sounds like the same problem I had recently. My motor was working fine, but the window needed help to move either way. I was going to buy a new motor and when I checked e-bay I found those bushings. I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did, I got 6 bushings (enough for 2 motors) for about $11.00 w/shipping. The instructions come with the package and are very easy to follow. The only other thing I had to buy was some Ford all pupose grease at AutoZone for about $3.00 w/tax. Give it a shot, it's worth it!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

i got the things you were talking about but the instructions are very clear on how to remove the motors. i drilled out the 2 rivets that hold it in there and now it just appears as if it just dangling there but wont come out. maybe attached to the equalizer bar?

could you post better instructions on how to remove the motor for me?

Quick Reply: Power windows wont roll up/down right...