General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

You see one tire, you see them all!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default You see one tire, you see them all!

Ok, all you Mustang experts I need advice on tires. I have looked and looked at tires from one store to another and I am getting confused.
They are starting to look alike. They pretty much say that they have good traction and keep hydroplaning to a minimum. I have looked at plenty of websites (tires.com and tirerack.com) and looked at tires at the stores. Which ones -- Dunlops, Goodyear, Michelin, Sumitomo, Kumho, Falkens, Yokohamas? My tire size is 245/45ZR17. High performance is not a priority.

I want my car to be quiet and comfortable. I want decent treadlife and handle well on corners. A guy at Sears says that Mustangs aren't known for a good ride just speed and performance. I wasn't impressed with him at all. Am I asking to much in a tire?

They all run about the same price depending on where you go $130-$150. If I buy them locally I can get free tire rotation, balancing and other stuff for the life of the tire so that is what I am going to do.

I would appreciate some opinions about past tire purchases and would you buy them again.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:44 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: You see one tire, you see them all!

well kuhmos are a good tire..the falkens are as well but tread life is a concern
Old 12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Which do you currently have on your vehicle?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:09 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

1 I have michlin polits
the other I have drag radials
not much help........
Old 12-06-2004, 05:51 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if performance is not a priority, then you might want to change to a 50 or 60 series tire to get a softer ride as those low profile 45 series you current have ride harder than a 50 or 60 would.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Sorry. I am truly ignorant about tires. Please explain what you meant by "50 or 60 series". You are referring to the middle number in my tire size right. Do I need to change the rims? Hope not because I really like them.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:07 AM
jamal420
1st Gear Member

KUMHO's rock, cheap as hell, good traction dry wet and snow and ok tread life
Old 12-07-2004, 02:36 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

245/45ZR17
245 is the width the 45 is the sidewall hieght and the 17 is the rim size. Peronsally i would go with kumhos because they are cheap and i descent tire i ordered 2 of them the other day only paid 51$ a tire from tire rack. I currently have them on the back of my car now and they hook better in the rain than my yokahama yk 420's did
Old 12-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I got talked into a set of Kumho's at Discount Tire once. Let me tell you. You're throwing your money away. The traction was horrible. 1st gear would spin those things, I don't care what the weather was out. A 90 degree sticky day and they were crap. And God help us all then it was cold out. Do yourself a favor and just get something else. I don't care what anyone else tells you, you won't be happy with them. (I love threads about Kumhos...Hopefully I can talk another person out of buying those Korean pieces of ****.)

I will say that I have a set of BF Goodrich G-Force T/A's on it at the moment and I love them. If you get a lot of rain and snow, go with the KDWS. Trust me on this one, for the couple extra bucks they are...They're worth it.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 AM
LS1mustang
1st Gear Member

Kumhos escstas are great in the rain.

for dry traction not the best, But what do expect for STREET RADIALS

I would love to hear your ramblings sidewayz4.6

Quick Reply: You see one tire, you see them all!