General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Welding Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:21 AM
22Mustang

Default Welding Help

I am working on my first classic mustang, a 65. I need to replace the floorpans and rear quarters. I don't want to spend a fortune on tools, what size 110 w mig welder do I need to work on the car?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Welding Help

Miller makes a millermatic 130 that should work, flux core gassless welder but should be plenty for what u want. Don't know what your budget is, maybe you could go to ebay, swapsheet, somewhere like that to pick up a used one. Look up Tractor Supply Compamy or Harbor Freight on the internet they have some other brands too. Make sure u get plenty of practice before u start your project. Although (my opinion) you could probably teach a monkey to migyou wantto make that stang look nice!
I use this for an excuse to get my tools and equipment on my wife, How much would it cost to have the job done in the shop vs how much is the piece of equipment and materials to do the job myself. I come out ahead and if I don't then I get it done in the shop.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Be carefull when working on sheet metal,especially exposed body sheet metal.Too much heat concentrated in one place for too long will cause it to warp to the point where it will be virtually unrepairable.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I purchased a Hobart 120 mig, from Northern Tools. 320.00 shippped. That was about 5 years ago. Should be plenty to do what you want, and you can adjust the heat settings so you do not distort the metal you are working with. If you dont care, the 120 has a 20% duty cycle, and the 110 has a 10% duty cycle. Both are 120v, and select your welder according to how long you think you will be working with it. Most migs come with the ability to add a shield gas, but you really dont need it unless you plan to weld aluminum. Just purchase a shielded wire and you will be fine. The cheapest place I have found to buy wire, is Lowe's. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 PM
mach5racing4

i went to home depot and bought a real nice lincoln welder, hd series, it can be used with or without gas and i have welded everything with it and have had no problems. it was like 400 or 450 it was well worth it, i have welded sheetmetal and even frames with it. thats what i suggest
Old 04-26-2007, 12:13 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: carmanwelder

Miller makes a millermatic 135 that should work, flux core gassless welder but should be plenty for what u want. Don't know what your budget is, maybe you could go to ebay, swapsheet, somewhere like that to pick up a used one. Look up Tractor Supply Compamy or Harbor Freight on the internet they have some other brands too. Make sure u get plenty of practice before u start your project. Although (my opinion) you could probably teach a monkey to migyou wantto make that stang look nice!
I use this for an excuse to get my tools and equipment on my wife, How much would it cost to have the job done in the shop vs how much is the piece of equipment and materials to do the job myself. I come out ahead and if I don't then I get it done in the shop.
He's not going to want fluxcore for sheet metal, it runs too hot and will be too messy (spatter). Go with a decent Lincoln or Miller and you will a tool that will last a liftime.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Yea, fluxcore is a bit much for just doing floor pans. A 110 Miller with a small bottle of shield gas will last you a long time and do all you need. I'm looking into a Miller sycrowave 250 tig for my house. It's an older machine, but they last forever if you takecare of them.I tig for an aerospace company atm. I want to do some extra work on the side. And when you buy one and start doing the pans, be sure and space your tacks around and put plenty of them. Don't just pick a corner and start off welding. Thinner metal will pull on you and get out of square fast if it's not tacked well.

Clean the surface really well. Dirty metal doesn't weld worth a dam.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jurnymn

Yea, fluxcore is a bit much for just doing floor pans. A 110 Miller with a small bottle of shield gas will last you a long time and do all you need. I'm looking into a Miller sycrowave 250 tig for my house. It's an older machine, but they last forever if you takecare of them.I tig for an aerospace company atm. I want to do some extra work on the side. And when you buy one and start doing the pans, be sure and space your tacks around and put plenty of them. Don't just pick a corner and start off welding. Thinner metal will pull on you and get out of square fast if it's not tacked well.

I persoanlly have a millermatic 175 at home use a millermatic 130, 175 and larger at work along with plasma cutters ect ect. We do alot of sheet metal work on train cars. Flux core will work if you don't want to spend money on the gas and save a few bucks on the setup. You don't turn the heat up all the way when welding sheet metal. Just read the instructions and you should be fine. The slag is minimal not like stick welding. Right on the dirty metal. Also paint if any will wreak havoc on your weld if present. Just like you said make sure you have a clean bare surface when welding. If your getting spatter then your settings are probably off (wire feed, voltage) or you have some dirty metal, (ie rust, paint, moisture). Also vary your technique push vs pull on a flat weld.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: carmanwelder

ORIGINAL: Jurnymn

I persoanlly have a millermatic 175 at home use a millermatic 130, 175 and larger at work along with plasma cutters ect ect. We do alot of sheet metal work on train cars. Flux core will work if you don't want to spend money on the gas and save a few bucks on the setup. You don't turn the heat up all the way when welding sheet metal. Just read the instructions and you should be fine. The slag is minimal not like stick welding. Right on the dirty metal. Also paint if any will wreak havoc on your weld if present. Just like you said make sure you have a clean bare surface when welding. If your getting spatter then your settings are probably off (wire feed, voltage) or you have some dirty metal, (ie rust, paint, moisture). Also vary your technique push vs pull on a flat weld.
Not to start a pissing match. Yes fluxcore will work, but not as well as a shielding gas.FLux core doestend to run a little hotter, and for a newb just starting out he might as well make it as easy as he can. I also weld at work, almost all day everyday. Click the link in my sig to see what I build for a living.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
JOEZDRACO

I bought an lincoln at sears hardware it was the display model so i saved like a hundred buck. Mig welding is easy just look for scrap steel in the trash pick it up and practice. Just welded in my subs with no prob and saved like 200 in the process

[IMG]local://upfiles/49050/C0446BB80B7A445884850228C8355AC8.jpg[/IMG]