General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

rear poly upper & lower bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:03 PM
95DkGrnGt

Default rear poly upper & lower bushings

I'm new to this forum. I just bought a set of poly bushings for my rear arms and i just waht to make sure i get them put in correctly. You know get it right before i tear apart my car. if anyone here has seen on this or any forum a how to or maybe a web page that has a tech article on it? also i have heard that poly uppers and lowers will put too much bind in the susspension and to just do the lowers in poly and rubber uppers. any input on that would be great too . Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear poly upper & lower bushings

they install fairly easily if you use some silicone grease on them, and you want to liberally grease them so they don't squeak which is one complaint I've heard about with them. use grease both on the outside and inside of them where the bolts goes through them. I've got them on my '88 racer and they havent' started to squeak yet, but I also got the control arms with provisions for greasing them too which you won't have if you just change the bushings in the stock control arms. They will stiffen the ride some but I don't believe I've ever heard of them putting the suspension into a bind. it works best to leave them a bit loose until you get them all in and then lower the car to normal ride height before you do the final tightening of the attachement bolts. you can do this by jacking up the entire rear end and placing it on jackstands then letting the jack down so all the car weight is on the suspension like it would be if the wheels were on the ground, then tighten up the bolts to spec.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 PM
95DkGrnGt

Thanks Roundman. I used to do nothing but chassis repair when I still worked in a shop. But the bushings were allways press fit or like older chevy trucks threaded. this kit says I have to leave in the sleaves from the old bushings and remove the rubber media to make way for the new bushings. also the new bushings have collars and just by looking under my car. i can't tell if it has them in the stock ones or not. i am putting a pic to show what i mean.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11046/2E636F33377240B6810FBF51FBAC59C3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-15-2004, 10:32 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't recommend the upper polyurethane bushings, because they will bind the rear suspension making a situation
far worse. Just leave the uppers alone and do the lowers instead. Good Luck,

Matt