General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 AM
tinman0

Default Valet Key

Hi,

Done a few searches and can't seem to find anyone mentioning them.

Is there a valet key available for the 05 Mustang? One thing I am paranoid about are dealers taking my car for a joyride. Not a problem so much in the States where Mustangs are a bit more common, but in the UK the car is rare. And I won't tell you how rare the car seems to be in Europe. Taknig the car to a normal UK Ford dealership for servicing would be a "hell no" as it would definitely get a joyride.

And for that reason, a key thats programmed to limit the performance would be so nice for peace of mind.

I swear the car whilst in the car security shop the other day came back with about 5 more miles than i left it with. OK, its only 5 miles, but its 5 miles that I don't want it doing.

Cheers,
Tin
Old 05-06-2007, 01:47 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Valet Key

No valet key available that I'm aware of.

Here's a tricky hi-tech option.. buy a handheld GPS receiver & "hide" it in the car somewhere when you take the car in for service. Once you get the car back it will show you EXACTLY where the car has been since you've last had it. Some models will even record stuff like maximum speeds etc.. [8D]

http://www.tigergps.com/gpsreceivers.html

Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM
tinman0

http://www.semsons.com/wi3mugpsrebt.html

yeah, i've seen things like the above, could simply throw it on the rear window and hope no one notices it.

trouble is that its not preventative, rather a reactive solution. for instance, the car security place will only see the car once, so if they did abuse the trust I placed in them, I'm not going back anyway.

the manual for the car seems to suggest that there is a valet key available for the car....never mind.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:09 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

A traditional "valet key" is one that only unlocks the driver door and starts the car, but doesn't unlock the glove box or trunk (so the valet can't get to those areas)

What the heck good is a valet key gonna do in your case? Or if you think the key does something else, what? The mechanic needs to start the car to fix it, right?

Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
tinman0

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

What the heck good is a valet key gonna do in your case? Or if you think the key does something else, what? The mechanic needs to start the car to fix it, right?
Some valet keys have engine limiters. Give the valet his special key and the car won't go above a certain speed, and limits the max rpm to something quite low. If the car is taken for a cruise, its a slow cruise.

A mechanic when servicing the car doesn't need to take it for a ride, or have access to the full performace of the vehicle.

If there is a problem on the car that needs the correct key, then you hand that over instead.