General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

upgrading differential?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 10:03 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: upgrading differential?

that ECTED thing only comes in 8.8...
Old 12-25-2004, 10:44 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you are probably not going to find many upgraded differentials for the 7.5" rear you have in the V-6. FRPP might make something for it but I dont' really know for sure. take a look at www.fordracing.com/performanceparts and see
Old 12-26-2004, 04:50 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

they actually do have a t-lok differential for 7.5" but i have another question - what is the signifigance of that #? (7.7 vs 8.8 vs 9) and what are splines?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:27 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

whats the point of paying twice as much for the ected when u can get the regualr and when u get on it it locks both tires anyways?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:06 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: artisan00

they actually do have a t-lok differential for 7.5" but i have another question - what is the signifigance of that #? (7.7 vs 8.8 vs 9) and what are splines?
the number is the nominal diameter of the ring gear, the larger the diameter, the stronger the gear can be for the same gear ratio as the gear teeth can be larger and deeper to better transmit the power to the wheels. NHRA top fuelers are running 11" and 11.5" custom made racing rears and still can break the gears in them due to the outrageous amount of torque they can make with nitromethane and superchargers. the splines are straight grooves cut parallel with the axle centerline into the outer circumference of the axle shaft that slide into corresponding slots inside the differential housing to connect the two together so they can transmit the power to the wheels. the bigger the diameter of the axle shaft, the higher the number of splines and the stronger the axle will be. stock 8.8 rears in Stangs use 28 spline axles, but you can upgrade to 31 or 33 or more depending upon the differential you buy. I'm running 35 spline axles with a spool in my 9" rear now.

ORIGINAL: bobby

whats the point of paying twice as much for the ected when u can get the regualr and when u get on it it locks both tires anyways?
the stock traction lok is a weak posi differential and the clutches wear out rather rapidly where the ECTED is a locker rear not dependent on clutches to lock it up and power both wheels. if you race much with the stock one, you will soon be doing one wheel burnouts and launches, trust me.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:53 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

so round - assuming i dont 'race' much, what difference if any would i notice in upgrading to the t-lok diff. from stock?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

assuming you have what's called an "open" differential, there are some benefits to swithing to a t-lok or positive traction differential even in everyday driving. in an open differential, the power is all sent to the right rear wheel to drive the car down the road. on slippery surfaces like ice or snow or mud, if this wheel spins, you won't go anywhere. with a posi, if the right rear spins, the power is sent to the left rear wheel to help get you moving off slippery surfaces and this might just save you from being stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere in bad weather like snow and ice etc. other than that, there's no real benefit to changing it unless you want both rear wheels to provide traction under hard acceleration instead of just spinning one tire.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:46 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

the early 80's stangs has that ole 7.5 rear..work fairly well
Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: artisan00

the number is the nominal diameter of the ring gear, the larger the diameter, the stronger the gear can be for the same gear ratio as the gear teeth can be larger and deeper to better transmit the power to the wheels. NHRA top fuelers are running 11" and 11.5" custom made racing rears and still can break the gears in them due to the outrageous amount of torque they can make with nitromethane and superchargers. the splines are straight grooves cut parallel with the axle centerline into the outer circumference of the axle shaft that slide into corresponding slots inside the differential housing to connect the two together so they can transmit the power to the wheels. the bigger the diameter of the axle shaft, the higher the number of splines and the stronger the axle will be. stock 8.8 rears in Stangs use 28 spline axles, but you can upgrade to 31 or 33 or more depending upon the differential you buy. I'm running 35 spline axles with a spool in my 9" rear now.

ORIGINAL: bobby

the stock traction lok is a weak posi differential and the clutches wear out rather rapidly where the ECTED is a locker rear not dependent on clutches to lock it up and power both wheels. if you race much with the stock one, you will soon be doing one wheel burnouts and launches, trust me.

oh, sorry, when i said regular i was reffereing to the Auburn performance diff. my fault........sooo?