General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Protecting your valuable engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 07:45 AM
83GT306
1st Gear Member

Default Protecting your valuable engine...

I ran across some interesting info from a thread in another forum about the best oil and filters to use when doing the routine maintenance dance. What I read was surprising. If you rely solely on say Fram oil filters that can be bought at the local Auto supply like I do for my Dodge truck, or say, Motorcraft filters from the same place for all of my Ford products, you may want to rethink just how much you should spend for a quality filter. According to this study, a brand name doesn't necessarily mean quality as advertised.
When you think about it, it's scary. I know it scared the hell outta me!

Better check this out before it's too late!

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
Old 01-01-2005, 11:47 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Protecting your valuable engine...

alot of us know that..fram is one of the worst...hastings makes one of the best filters..they make amsoil filters!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:56 AM
bull8t
2nd Gear Member

good info. thanks for sharing
Old 01-01-2005, 02:56 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

just bear in mind that those tighter filters can plug up much easier and then the oil completely bypasses the oil filter and goes out to the bearings with no filtration at all and you have no way of knowing when this is happening either. it also happens routinely with just about any filter when the oil is really cold during the winter and until the oil warms up and the viscosity drops so the pressure drops the filter bypass stays open circulating unfiltered oil to the engine.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:45 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

that's why I like remote filter as you have 2 filters
Old 01-02-2005, 05:38 PM
83GT306
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

just bear in mind that those tighter filters can plug up much easier and then the oil completely bypasses the oil filter and goes out to the bearings with no filtration at all and you have no way of knowing when this is happening either. it also happens routinely with just about any filter when the oil is really cold during the winter and until the oil warms up and the viscosity drops so the pressure drops the filter bypass stays open circulating unfiltered oil to the engine.
Yes, that's true roundman. What really caught my eye there was the fact that the brand name filters like Motorcraft keep switching manufacturers...I think the Motorcrafts are made by Purolator, which had a favorable review, but not all the time, sometimes from somewhere else.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the box before purchasing those filters for where they came from.
But another aspect of some of those filters was the cheap anti-drainback valve made of plastic instead of metal, and less or more oil entrance holes at the filter bottom.
Also the density of the filtration element rated in microns.
It was a good study I thought...atleast we'll have an insight now and can determine what we think will best suit our preferences.
I always thought Fram was the best filter one could buy until I read that study, now I'm worried, not because "I" think they're worthless, but because someone who did an evaluation of all different manufacturers says that they are the least quality with a reputable brand name.

Time to change the oil in my truck...I'll probably install a ??????
Old 01-02-2005, 09:35 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

it's all about $$$$$$