General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick! need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 AM
theother1wstolen

Default Quick! need help!

I just ran some seafoam through my 01 mustang v6 that i just got, (through the intake) was getting a sulphur smell, after i finished running it through and let the engine sit for the 5 minutes, i cranked it up and began to rev i noticed that it doesnt rev past 4k rpm (this is the first time ive got it this high), it also seems that im not getting much exhaust output until i get to the 4k rpm, at which point the rpm just starts fluctuating, (vroom vroom type of sound) possibly a few hundred rpm at a time. now im guessing that its the catalytic converter because of the exhaust pressure suddently spiking, and the sulphur smell, if anyone else has had this problem before, or just plain thinks im wrong, please say so, thanks a bunch in advance for saving a poor man from wasting money.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Quick! need help!

im no mechanic but id agree with you. it sounds like the cat is either plugged or very close to it. that would explain no exhaust getting through. i dont know if this works for mustangs, but have someone rev up the engine and u get underneath the car and hit the cat a couple times with a hammer. a buddy and i did this to his truck and a bunch of black crap came out the exhaust and he got about 10k more miles outta his cat.