General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BRAKES....HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

Default BRAKES....HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL

ok well i have a 1993 mustang 2.3 5 speed...now i just replaced my brake lines form lets see under the passenger seat back the cylinders they go into and the pads and hardware in there...i also replaced the lines going to the front left tire...now my question is should my brake pedal go down a little before you feel it grab the brakes...i mean if you drive another car you know how you step on the brakes and they grab the brakes almost immediatly well these you have to push down farther and then they grab...are they like this or what...i meani do have a leak but that should be the problem one of the fittings just needs some of that tap around it before i screw it in again...i haven't replaced the front calipers(which i will be doing) and i haven't replaced the pads in front or rotors...now please help me out on what you think it may be...i have taken the brake line distrubtor thing that attachs the the master cylinder so i did all that and bleed the back brakes and the front left i will do the front right some time...my car does stop its just a weird way that the brakes feel..
Old 01-05-2005, 12:41 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BRAKES....HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL

when you replaced the line, you got a ton of air in the system, so I suggest you fix the one leak you know about first, then go back and bleed them really well, starting with the right rear, then left rear, right front and finally left front. keep the master cylinder topped up to make sure it don't run low and suck air or you'll have to bleed it also which ain't a bad idea either. do this first before bleeding the wheels. the least little bit of a leak or air in the lines will make the pedal feel soft and let it go much farther to the floor before it applies the brakes properly, so you must get 100% of the air out of there if you want a firm brake pedal
Old 01-05-2005, 12:54 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

ok so now how do i bleed the mater cylnider...and when i am bleeding the brakes should i unscrew the cap to the resivor but leave it one or what....and...i did bleed the brakes...only fluid was coming through but tomorrow i might have the day so i will just go out and play around my car until it gets dark and then go inside...and is there anyway to bleed the brakes but your self...i have my dad help he pumps the brakes and holds them down and everything...thanks for your help..and yea so they should be firm right from the touch and it could be that there airs in the master cylinder
Old 01-05-2005, 01:10 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you can get a master cylinder bleeder kit free from Auto Zone just by asking for one or they might sell them now, don't know for sure.
to use it you disconnect the two lines leaving the master cylinder and install the two plastic adapters and the hoses from the kit in place of the lines and route the lines back into the reservoir and use the clip supplied in the kit to hold them in place. make sure the reservoir has a good level of brake fluid in it. then pump the brake pedal and watch the clear hoses closely until you don't see any more tiny air bubbles coming through the tubes. this may take quite some time depending on how much air got into the master cylinder but keeping doing it until you are sure all the air is gone. then remove the hoses and reinstall the steel lines. then bleed the wheels in the order I listed earlier. one way to do it by yourself is to get a clear bottle and a hose that will fit over the bleeder screw at the wheel cylinder. put the wrench on the screw and loosen the fitting and then close it but not real tight. leave the wrench on so that you have room to turn it to open it and then push the hose onto the bleeder nipple and put the end of it down into the bottle which should have some brake fluid already in it. make sure the end of the hose is below the level of the fluid in the bottle so it can't suck air back up into the wheel cylinder. then make sure the master cylinder is full of fluid and go crack open the bleeder screw and then go slowly push the brake pedal down to the floor. repeat this a couple of times then close the screw and check the level in the master cylinder and top it off as needed. repeat this several more times until you think you have pushed the air in the lines out into the catch bottle. then tightly close the bleeder screw and move to the next wheel cylinder, pour out the excess brake fluid in the bottle so it don't overflow and make a mess. repeat this procedure at each wheel making real sure not to let the level get low in the master cylinder or it will suck up air again and you'll have to start the process all over again. after doing all 4 wheels, try the pedal feel and see if this doesn't make it firm again.
by the way, the brake line flare fittings don't seal on the threads, they seal internally on the flares so you shouldn't need anything on the threads. if it's tight and still leaking, the the flare may be cracked or the mating nipple in the fitting is bad and you'll need to replace the bad part and start over bleeding again.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

well the fitting is the end of the rubber hose that goes to the axle..i will try the fitting and see if the flare is ok...i will flare it again and make sure its fine....but thanks for the information...i will try to do that today or tomorrow

for right now the car is fine nothing is really wrong with it other than the way the brake feels...its just weird but yes i will do those and talk back here wheni am done...thanks for all your help
Old 01-06-2005, 05:53 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

lol...advanced auto parts doesn't even ****ing carry the master cylinder bleeder...you can't even buy them they dont' sell or buy them...its messed up i hate that place anyways there only one person i like because he has a mustang like mine and has a lot of stuff done to it so hes a good source of info...they can't even get the bolt for my shocks right...it was common bolt they messed up
Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

go back and read my reply and you will see I said AUTO ZONE! LOL
if there ain't one near you, you can do the same thing by buying two short pieces of pre-made brake line tubing with ends on them that fit the master cylinder, one size is bigger than the other if I remember correctly. bend them to fit back into the reservoir and they're stiff enough that they should not need to be clipped down.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

yea i know you said auto zone just wanted to chcek there first...auto zone is across the bridge and yes you are correct about the two fittings one being better than the other...i will go to auto zone tomorrow...didn't think that one place would sell them and the other place doesn't...plus auto zone tries to rip me off everytime i go there...last time they only told me they had a fitting on a pipe and it cost 3.50 something like that....so i asked him to go back and check again because i don't want that...what luck he found one this time....lol
Old 01-06-2005, 11:55 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if you had just taken my advice the first time you would have gotten the bleeder kit and been done by now!
I'm just totally crushed you didn't trust me on this one! you don't think I'd send you to some place if I didn't know that they had what you need now do you? LOL
Old 01-07-2005, 12:01 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

lol didn't even think of that...just went to the place on my way home and i couldn't have done it today...its this nasty slet snow rain out side...wouldn't want to do it now....and no i dont' have a gradege i have a yard with grass and a drive way...i want a gradge...and of course i trust you...lol...wink wink...j/k

Quick Reply: BRAKES....HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL