General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ignition kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:02 PM
2001v6IL

Default ignition kill switch

Heard about some people wiring in Ignition Kill switches, seems fairly straightforward. I have a 2001 mustang v6, what wire do i intercept and where to put the switch in?? Should i add a ground to the switch? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:38 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ignition kill switch

sorry to say this, but who in his right mind would want to steal a V-6 Mustang??? LOL
Welcome to the forum by the way, just had to mess with you on this one!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:17 AM
2001v6IL

So in other words you dont know the answer to my question. Sorry I live in a big city and people will steal a pile of dirt if they saw one.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I know some answers to your question but I can't be all that specific as I'm not familiar with the newer models like yours. What I would do is put a switch in the signal wire from the ignition switch going to the starter solenoid so the starter won't turn over. Doing it this way would keep some jackass from running down the battery trying to start the car too. bear in mind that what I'm going to tell you applies in general to most Fords and not necessarily specifically to yours. first find the starter solenoid, usually located on the driver's side fenderwell. follow the postive battery cable from the battery and you will find it attached to one side of the solenoid. near this point, there will be a much smaller wire attached to a post on the solenoid. this is the wire that comes from the ignition switch. to be sure you have the right wire, remove it from the post and try to start the car. if you got the right wire, the starter won't turn over and the solenoid won't click either. now look at the wire and note the color of it and any color stripe running down it. follow it back in the wiring harness to see where it passes through the firewall into the passenger compartment under the driver's side of the dash. then get under the dash and find it here. you might have to unwrap the covering on the harness to find the wire and it will most likely be in a big bundle with a bunch of other wires coming down from the steering column. use a 12 volt test light and probe the wire with it. the wire should only have power on it when the ignition key is turned to the start position. once you are sure you have the right wire, all you need to do is cut it and splice in a switch. make sure to use wire at least the same gauge as the wire you cut so it can carry the current load. the fun part for you will be to find a place for the switch that is convenient enough for you to use without being that easy for a potential low life thief to find it too. most pros know where to look so you're really only going to provide some protection from the kids out for a joyride unless you get real creative and put it somewhere or disguise it so they don't think it's a switch. anyway, once you figure this out, all you got to do now is cut the wire and use some crimp on connectors to splice in the switch. make sure to use good connectors with insulation on them to prevent any shorts which could start a fire or something. then make all the necessary connections and test the switch out. all you have to do now is never let anyone you don't trust see you use the switch and don't tell anyone you installed one either as people cannot keep secrets either, even your best friend. and now you just need to remember to use the switch each and every time you leave the car, which is easier said than done, but you seem to be just paranoid enough about this that it shouldn't be much of a problem for you to do! LOL
Now, is this a better answer to your question?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:19 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

or when you make the cut from the ignition wire cap the end going up into the collumn, and run the soleniod wire to one side of a switch, run another hot wire to the other side of the switch a "momentary" push button switch. Then you just have to have the key in the on position and push your switch to fire it up and not worry about turning any switches back off. i like this method a little better. Just get creative where you put the switch.
Iether way your car will not start without the switch, one way the car wont start unless you have the switch on. the other way, the switch is what starts the car.

One more thing! disconnect the battery first