General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Shudder/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
theponyfactor

Default Car Shudder/Vibration

I haven't really posted here much, but I'm probably going to start. I need a board with a little more technical knowledge, hopefully you can help me. I have a 1995 v6 mustang with 50,000 miles. I have been having problems when I accelerate, the car shakes mainly at around 35-40 mph, when it shifts. I had u-joints replaced/checked and it still does it. It only does it if I accelerate fairly slow, but it is getting worse.

I have been told that it could be tires/rims because I have 17x9/10.5 fr500s with fuzion zri tires, not the best quality tire. But I have inspected every tire and they all seem to be wearing evenly. On top of this, the car pulls to the right, but I was told that this could be helped by getting cc plates. Let me know if you need any more info, I'll be around.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
URLACHER54
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car Shudder/Vibration

could be a few things wheel not balanced properly, bent rim, tire comming apart inside, i had this happen ant it was my tire falling apart on the inside
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

sounds like you need an alignment pretty bad. just go get it aligned and your problem should be fixed.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:31 PM
theponyfactor

o yea that was the other thing, i had it aligned less than one year ago. i guess ill have the tires looked at.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Unexplained or hard to find pulling to one side can be caused by worn out control arm bushings.If this is the case,it will be more noticeable while braking.The harder you push the brake pedal the more the car will pull.
The miss can be caused by worn out plug wires.They burn out from the inside and when this happens you get the symptoms you describe.This can be checked with an ohm meter.The resistancefor wires in good shape is about 7,000 ohms per foot.(I think.Anybody with better info please correct me)
Wires in service for twelve years would be a good item to replace as a matter of course anyway.

Injectors can cause trouble also.You can unplug individual injectors and see which one causes the least rpm drop.Swap this injector with another good injector and see if the miss follows.If so,replace that injector or have them all cleaned.If one is bad it's only a matter of time before the rest need attention.A clogged fuel filter can leak solid particles into the system and clog injector orifices.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
theponyfactor

I hadn't thought of it being spark plugs/wires. I'll check the wires for any signs when I get home later.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: theponyfactor

I hadn't thought of it being spark plugs/wires. I'll check the wires for any signs when I get home later.
There won't be any outward signs.You might be able to see some evidence of burning by looking into the end of the wire where the plug end is crimped onto the wire but don't use this as a measure of whether the wires are good or not.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:23 PM
theponyfactor

and this can happen only at certain speeds? i guess i would have thought that it would be more consistent if this turns out the be the problem.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:52 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

have the transmission flushed and filled with the filter replaced. notice the shudder occurs on acceleration when the transmission is getting ready to shift.

plugs and wires are probably a worthwhile tune-up, but it is most likely old tranny fluid.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
theponyfactor

i checked the fluid and it looked a little dark, was hard to tell on the dipstick. It had kind of a burnt smell though, which is obvious to what it means. I'll see if I can change it tomorrow after work. Maybe I'll pick up some spark plug wires while I'm at it too. Hopefully this fixes it, it's really starting to annoy me.

Quick Reply: Car Shudder/Vibration