General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
JohnnyScarecrow

Default Transmission problems

I have a 1989 Ford LTD Crown Vic LX. I know its not a Mustang, but if I'm not mistaken eighties Mustangs and Crown Vics have the same or similar transmission.

The problems started with rougher shifting, some small slips that at first I thought was the engine cutting out, a little noise,and not long after that got to the point where the car didn't want to accelerate very well. On that car, when everything is in perfect working order, the car just glides right down the road with ease.

I took the car into a transmission place to get the system flushed, including the cooler, and to get a new filter and fluid (at that point the fluid was starting to change color. Immediately after leaving the place the transmission started slipping really rough and getting stuck between gears. I immediately turned the car around. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. It didn't follow everything the guy said as I am not very knowledgeable about transmissions, but the ended up putting some sort of fluid in there that is supposed to do something for the valves. The guy told me that it could take up to 100 miles to work. It was an immediate 100% improvement as soon as I left, and the transmission was running as smooth was when I got the car a few months before.

Its been about 400 miles since then, and know the transmission is acting the same as before. One thing I've noticed though is that the transmission acts completely fine when the car is in the drive without the overdrive (before I always just used the drive with the overdrive). It is only the drive with the overdrive in which the transmission doesn't want to run smooth.

I know transmissions are complicated with many moving parts, and you can't tell what is wrong with one by reading a description of sypmtoms from a computer screen, but I was hoping that you guys could give some sort of idea of what it could be, what can be done, and how much it might cost. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission problems

Im a bit tired but ill try to follow, pulled an 11 hr shift and since other 2 guys never showed.

When in OD gears 1-2-3-4 all have problems? And when in D gears 1-2-3 all have no problems? When you had the fluid changed did the shop adjust the linkages or the tv cable at the throttle body? If not that could be the problem. That should always be part of the fluid change. Always. Especially with an AOD.

Get it adjusted and take it from there.