General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Jables

Default brake question

one of my calipers is sticking and its time i get some new brakes. i have a 00 gt and i could always just get stockbrake discs, pads, and caliper, but i was wondering if i should get a certain aftermarket part or if theres anything else you guys recomend, or reccomend, or recommend, whatever. its gonna cost like 5 hundo at the local shop and im basically wondering if there are some better parts that i can put on myself for cheaper. btw i need all pads, one back caliper and, all rotors, but im not against getting new everything if its within the price range. bye bye plasma TV
Old 07-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: brake question

$500!?!?! That's ridiculous....but what do I know, I'm new to mustangs. So if that is the price then I guess I'll be mad when it comes time to start replacing stuff. By the way, changing brakes, calipers, and rotors isn't too hard. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours if you slack off and take your time like I do. Get a Haynes manual and they'll take you through the whole process. That should save you some money. If you are intent on upgrading to aftermarket parts, look for a big brake kit from brembo or wilwood. Although I'm not sure if the latter makes em for mustangs, I'm sure the former will. Might be a little pricey, but they'll have great stopping power. I hate the oem brakes on my 00 v6, and I'm sure with your power it can't be all that great either, that is unless your calipers and rotors are different than mine. Good luck though, you should be able to change all that in an afternoon by yourself though.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Jables

Default RE: brake question

thanks man, that gives me some confidence in my gut-feeling. im just wondering if anyone has some definite prices on aftermarket parts and installation info. if not ill just take it to the dealership. i know its a rip-off but i dont have anytime, especially anytime soon, too do anykind of work on my car. but if there is an aftermarket option that is cheaper than the dealership, im all for it, and i will make the time to do it, i just wanna know. thanks.