General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warranty advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 AM
ThisIsMyStang
2nd Gear Member

Default Warranty advise needed

I have a 2003 GT that I purchased close to a year ago. I had the 3 year warranty added to the payments, so I have about 2 years left. My question is this, is there anyway to get out of it? I know you're thinking why in the hell would he do that! Well for one its not a daily driver, it does have 55,000 miles on it, when I bought it there were 48,000. So I only put 7,000 on it in the time I've had it, and most of those is from driving from Mich. to Alabama and back for vacation. Anyway, I'm looking to go with more power. And with a warranty it makes it impossible to do because everything internal in the motor voids the warranty. Nitrous, S/C, heads, cams, forged, just about everthing except for bolt-ons. So I figure if I'm going to add these things anyway, whats the point of paying on a warranty if its voided? I could save money on payments and if something did break I'd upgrade it anyways. I'm not sure what the deductible is but I'm guessing its around $500 so whats the point in the long run? Give me some advise what I should do, cause I'm thinking the money I'm spending on this warranty could be money going into the car to make it better anyway. Or tell me I'm stupid and should wait till it expires. Thanks for any help!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
ikewineb
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty advise needed

I am a finance manager at a Lincoln Mercury store. Depending on the type of warranty you bought, you should be able to cancel it. Hopefully, you bought a Ford Extended Service Plan. You will not, however,lower your payments by canceling the warranty. When you cancel the warranty, you would recieve a pro rated portion of the warranty back. So, if you paid $1000 for the warranty and you have had it two out of three years, you would roughly get $333 back. That refund would be sent directly to your lien holder and apply to the principle balance. Your payments would remain the same, but the term would be shortened. It sounds like you are getting close the then end of the coverage. I would wait it out and probably start with some of the smaller mods that would not void your warranty. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM
ThisIsMyStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty advise needed

Thanks for the word of advise! I guess I should check on it and see what kind of deal they would work out. If its anything close to what you mentioned I will more than likely wait it out!Anybody have a list of mods you can do that will not void the warranty? I was gonna get a wet kit this weekend but I guess I'm gonna hold off on that for awhile. So I'm thinking a MGW short throw and gears. As long as gears are ok?