General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tremec 3650 Transmission out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Default Tremec 3650 Transmission out?

After a 3 hour drive, I was stopped at a stoplight. When the light turned green, I started going through my gears,but when I hit 4th it made a horrible grinding noise and popped back into neutral. At first I thought, wow, I really missed a gear or something. Triedit again, same problem.

So here's the deal...1st,3rd, and 5th gear work fine. If I really ease it in, I can get 2nd gear to work,butusually it will just grindand pop back into neutral. 4th gear just plainwill not work. I can get it into Reverse, the reverse lights come on but the gear will not actually kick in.

It's a 2004 Mach 1 with about 26,000 miles on it. This car is rarely driven hard, and when it is it's not obscene, I never race it. The only thing I did "hard"that daywas drop it into 4th to pass an obnoxiously slow individual in the fast lane. The RPMs got to just over 4k in 4th gear, that's it.

My warranty JUST ran out.

Um...help?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tremec 3650 Transmission out?

since its both 2nd and 4th i would pull the boot off and adjust the stop on the bottom of the shifter and see if that helps
Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

I got the differential serviced and the manual transmission fluid replaced, both were about due. Turns out the wrong fluid was in it, but it hasn't been serviced since I got it...whatever.

At any rate, it seems that I can get it to stay in 2nd now with little problem, I can get it into Reverse but it's very difficult, and it continues to just pop right out of 4th. I took it to a transmission place but they wanted $550 just to take it out and look at it. Another guy I talked to said he thinks it is one of they synchros.

Thoughts? Anyone? I seriously need my car this coming Saturday, I'm going out of town for 2 weeks.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Ford, they said they think it's a bent fork...<sigh>
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
molecule
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately you won't be taking that car out of town...........get it looked into before you wind up totaling the tranni
Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...I'm trying to get it to a guy downtown that thinks he can have it fixed by Saturday. Guess we'll see.

I just took the car around the block, just feeling it out. No grinding problems, I can actually get it to go into 4th if I'm very gentle with it and sometimes it will stay there. Usually after a bit it will pop back out, but the point is it will stay sometimes. Like I said, too, reverse works, it's just tough, gotta be gentle. I can't figure out what the hell it is...doesn't make sense that it's a bent fork since the gears I'm having problems with are on two different forks...hell, I dunno. I took the boot off of the shifter to have a look but I know squat about trannsmissions/clutches, so that did a whole lot of nothing for me.

<sigh> Looks like half my savings will be out the window to fix the problem. This is ridiculous, the car is only 3 years old with 25k miles on it. This shouldn't be happening.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

EDIT: Duplicate post, sorry, computer problems
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
molecule
1st Gear Member

Man, I feel forya... If you bought the car new depending on how humane the dealer is they may? work with you. Worst they can do is say no but I'd at least plead my case. Best of Luck!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Bought it used. I'm screwed.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Got in the car this morning for a little test drive before I took it to the shop, and, well...guess what?

The damn thing works fine, 100%. No struggling to get it into reverse and no popping out of 4th. In fact, it kinda seems like everything is shifting a little smoother, except reverse which was technically always a bit of a pain (and 5th, too, I guess).

I called the transmission shop I was going to take it to and the guy had no real explanation. He said don't even bother taking it in cuz if he takes it apart and finds no problem, then I'm just out a couple hundred bucks.

<shrug>

I dunno. I guess there maybe was some material blocking it up or something and changing out the fluids got it loosened up a bit, just took some time to do it. Hell, I dunno.

Whatever, the car works great and will get me to Ft. Worth. If the tranny does go out, maybe I'll look into a bit of an upgrade for it...hmmm...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

No comments on this? Nobody has ever heard/seen anything like this?

Quick Reply: Tremec 3650 Transmission out?