General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

H E L P sluggish stang 95 gt convertable

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:55 PM
jjooeell

Default H E L P sluggish stang 95 gt convertable

December of last year i bought a 95 gt. seemed a little sluggish so i installed a cold air intake, ford racing wires, autolite plugs, msd cap, flushed the oil added synthetic, no noticble improvement. then i thought why not take out the cats put in a h pipe then some flowmasters, hell why i was add it why not put in 3.37 gears, and a subframe connector. still sluggish, so i test the fuel at the rail and i am getting 40 psi good right?, then i hear change the oxygen sensors, ok i swallowed the horse i might as well eat the tail, so i put in two new oxygen senors (Bosch), still sluggish at about 4500 rpm. this stang should go. what am i missing, what else should i replace, anyone else have this problem it is becoming very frustrating not to mention expensive. also i increased the octane, and bumped the timing about 10 degrees
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: H E L P sluggish stang 95 gt convertable

You should ahve definitely felt the gears. I assume you mean that you installed 3.73 gears? For an engine that's mostly stock, you will lose power right around where you say you lose power. But the timing and gears shuld ahve been a noticable difference. It wouldn't hurt to see if you are throwing any codes.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
jjooeell

your right they are 3.73, i have had the codes checked and there is none, doing some research i have came up with a couple solutuons, one was to clean the tps, clean the maf sensor or change the coil. does any of these sound like what i need to do. how do i check the coil to see if it is adequate?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Everything you have done is pretty much maintinance stuff (except the gears). Don't take this the wrong way, but a stock 95 GT Vert is pretty slow, like low 15's slow. Consider maybe a different intake and heads, maybe a cam and it will wake up nicley.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately, he's right. As you can tell from my sig, I have a 1995 GT convertible. In their stock form they are slow as hell. However they have a TON of potential! First off, you have a car with a nice interior. You also have an electric fan, larger MAF, larger alternator, and a few other nice stock items. And the mods for the 5.0 are dirt cheap. It won't take much money at all to really wake it up. I bought the car in June 2006. It had nothing but a cold air intake and was pushing about 185 rwhp. By late August of 2006 I had 430 rwhp! It's probably slightly higher now ue to a few more mods, but I haven't hit the dyno yet.

So it can be done and it's not hard. And in the end you have a nice daily drier that looks nice and sounds nice (and women love the vert, lol.) And you can still kick *** on the strreets when you need to.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Yeah, not a whole lot of power, and I know you check the fuel pressure, but a clogged fuel filter can slow you down. Clean MAF wire, as mentioned, check to see if T.B is clean. Higher octane is not need if it does not ping, and try running some fuel system cleaner through it.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 AM
jjooeell

I put in a new fuel filter, and will try cleaning the maf and tps this weekend, the potential is there. it definitaly has power i am not looking to race it, i just want the abiltiy to get to speed. right now i have a sound that doesn't match the output. the rpms are telling me that the engine is spinning but the response flattens out at about 4500 rpm. i have probally ran a least four cans of fuel cleaner through it already. side note my temp guage does not work and i already replaced the engine sensor could this be related?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

4500-5000 is right about where they run out of steam, my 95 would fall flat on its face at 4800.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
jjooeell

from speaking with other owners i am told that there should be more oomph. the inintial get up and go is definitly lacking i i just cant believe that this is as quick as it could be.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
jjooeell

Problem Solved...
When i had the guy advance the timing he never diconnected the spout connector, once that was redone it ran perfect, this is what i expected after all of the mods that i had done. thank god, now i just got to worry about my temp guage and the body work and i am almost done...

Quick Reply: H E L P sluggish stang 95 gt convertable