General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

keep the 98 or get a 65

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 PM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

Default keep the 98 or get a 65

Hey yall right now me and my dad (well my dad i drive a 97 F-150) have a 98 GT vert. thats pretty much bone stock, the PO had some kind of sport suspension put on not sure about it though, all thats really aftermarket are the mufflers (flowmasters) and ive got a buddy with an old nova thats pretty hot, he wont tell me or show me whats under the hood and i want to be able to keep up with him if i run him. My dad loves the classic mustangs and ive convinced him to look into buying an older one (he wants a 65 because he used to have one), but if i want something i can cruise in and still have good power if someone wants to run (like the kid with the nova) would we be better off keeping the 98 and doing the PI swap (not sure whats all involved but info would be great) with a performance cam and some more exhaust work (headers cat deletes) or would it be better to keep convincing him to get the older one with a 289 in it and just yank it and have it bored out a little a do a moderate performance build on it? Sorry for the long post just have alot of questions and figured this would be the place to ask them. Any comments or ideas would be great, thanks. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: O and btw if he sells this to get another mustang it would definatly be a classic one so getting a 99-up wouldn't really be an option, i would love to get a 99-up personally but he wouldn't go for it hes real stubborn.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: keep the 98 or get a 65

Well, first of all, how can you keep up with the Nova if you don't know what's in it? If it's some turbocharged 502 how are you going to keep up with that? As far as an older Stang, do you have to pass smog? If so, a pre smog car has a huge advantage. If you do get an older Stang I'd say 67-up, because the engine compartments are bigger, so you can fit a 351W or bigger without too much trouble, even a big block if you choose to go that route, and no shock tower cutting is needed. The 98, you could put some good heads and a blower on it and it'd be pretty quick if you set it up right.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 PM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

Well i know the nova used to have a 350 in it, he blew it bysprayin nitrous on it and he took it out to rebuilt it (his dad has his own shop so he has alot of good resources and equipment) and im almost positive its still the same motor and im sure hes still spraying but i just wont know what else he did, i think he just rebuilt it but im not sure what parts he used to rebuild it and what else he did, he had it out after football practice one day and it sounds alot better than it did before, i know he put a bigger cam in it and has cutouts on the exhaust now, thats just from what i can hear though. As for smog im not really worried about it, we would take the cats off of the 98 if we kept it, nobody around here has ever been checked for them that I've heard of, its not a huge deal around here. And if it were up to me i would get a 67-up but its not, and besides he loves the old 289/302s and so do I. And i don't know if its true but someone told me thatI (he)would be better off getting the 289/302 because theyre such reliable engines and they can handle alot higher rpms whereas the 351W wont be able to hander the higher rpms? Its not a big deal I know i just heard that. As for the heads and blower how much hp/tq could i expect if i went that route?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Try asking in the modular forums, I'm not too keen on what kinda gains the mods get with pi or s/c setups. There's a lot of guys there who know all about that stuff
Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 PM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

Hm good idea, thanks for the help!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 PM
medic33
1st Gear Member

I GOT A 98' THE PI SWAP WAS QUOTE TO ME INCLUDING LONG TUBES, INTAKE AND A CHIP JOB - LIKE 4 GRAND AND IT STILL ONLY GAVE MY 265 HP I WANT A SUPER CHARGER JUST SO I CAN GET TOO 300. TO ME THE SWAP WASNT WORTH THE MONEY I SHOULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 03' MACH 1.