General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PATS (transponder key) problem SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default PATS (transponder key) problem SOLVED!

Hello all. I am new here, but I know many have had problems with replacing PATS key issues. I own 96 GT, and bought it with only one key. The locksmith and some folks that know more than I told me I needed two working keys to program a third key--otherwise I'd have to take it to the dealership or a properly equipped garage, and it'd run up to $70 per key. I run on a tight budget, and HATE to have only one key.

As it turns out, for some model Mustangs, (at least 96 and 97), you need only one key. (I bought blank transponder keys on eBay for $10 each). All you need to do is place the one working key into the ignition and turn it to ON (START) until the THEFT light turns off. Then, you have 15 seconds to place the new, cut, unprogrammed key into the ignition. The THEFT light flashes for 2 seconds and then turns off. It is now programmed.

I tried this also on my buddy's 99 GT but it didn't work. THIS one needed a second key. I found (I think) a way to confuse the computer into thinking I had actually 2 keys. The programming method is the same as for the 96, but it requires you to begin by placing 2 different and fully working keys in the ignition to let the computer go into programming mode. I don't know much, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the sensor on the ignition KNEW the two keys entered were different, if they were both fully functional. Since the transponder functions as a resistor of sorts, I thought that perhaps every transponder had a unique resistance, which the ignition sensor could detect in the signal response, so I used one key in the following manner: Placed the key in the ignition, turned to ON (START), and then took it out, then (in less than 15 seconds), placed a small magnet (a fridge magnet on the end of the key should work--I used the small magnet form a portable chess game pawn), and insert the key into the ignition and do the same again--turn to ON (START) and then took it out. NOW, the computer was in programing mode, and I could enter the cut and unprogrammed key and the 'stang programmed it! We (my buddy and I) were both amazed.

For what the dealer charged a ridiculous amount of money, it can be done in about 45 seconds for no more than $12.

Has anyone else has heard of a similar trick? Am I the first? THANKS!

Cheers, from Sunny Miami,
gaspi.