General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

US Soldier on a buget

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default US Soldier on a buget

Recently purcahsed a 03 GT and I love it. I am about to start modding it out but my wife has me on a strict budget. I was thinking about starting with the CAI. For the 03 GT which is better, the CAI or the Ram air induction? I have been a K& N buyer for years. I read alot of good things about the JLT CAI.Which one do you guys recommend(JLT/K&N/BBK)and a good sight to buy either one from.I recently purchased BBK underdrive pulleys also.Since Ihave just started tomod my car outis the CAI and the pulleys a good start. Can any one tell me the 1/4 mile time is for the 03 GT?Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: US Soldier on a buget

If money is the main constraint I would ditch the CAI idea and trim the air silencer and remove the screen from in front of the MAF.These two free mods will give as much of an increase as the CAI and costs nothing.Trim the silencer at an angle leaving the top and front the longest parts.Just make the opening as large or larger than the throttle body and you'll be OK.
As far asI know the BBK pulleys are piggybacks and they aren't as good for the engine as the SFI approved parts sold by Steeda and March.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...nk_damper.html
If you have an automatic transmission you will benefit from a handheld tuner so you can raise and firm up your shift points.The SCT II handheld also allows you to advance the timing from idle to redline.This will give you a few HP as well as boost your fuel economy.I have a Steeda timing adjuster set at +4* and my gas mileage went up about two mpg.I still can burn 87 octane also.I probably would have went with the handheld tuner if I were to do it over.

Here's a link to1/4 mile times for just about every car made.
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

Finally;
Thank you for your service to our country.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

cai and pullies are the biggest waste of money. you should start with gears. they dont add any hp but they multiply the motor's hp/tq so that it will pull much harder and get off the line faster
Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 AM
SS4LUNCH
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

cai and pullies are the biggest waste of money. you should start with gears. they dont add any hp but they multiply the motor's hp/tq so that it will pull much harder and get off the line faster
+1 from one soldier on a budget to another
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 AM
ktm300
2nd Gear Member

what kinda budget do you have? id say go with gears, tuner, exhaust and a true CAI, just dont get a cheap ebay one that pulls hot underhood air.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Alot of joe's on this site.