General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ok, wondering about control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

Default ok, wondering about control arms?

ok, ive got some cash and was just wondering your alls opinion on new control arms. i want to go with both upper and lower control arms and i want to save some weight over the stockers. ive seen some stuff about aluminum arms... is this a wise choice, ever heard anything about them? how big of weight savings would i get? do they hook as good as the steel ones?

and... what are some ways i can lighten the car slightly. maybe get my ragtop to the weight of a coupe or alittle less than one.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:45 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ok, wondering about control arms?

My suspension is Maximum Motorsports with Coil-over Bilsteins. I started the rear with shocks/springs and lower arms only.

MM had great tech help and customer service. Everything shipped same day, arriving next day (but I live in SoCal).

They can start you off small, and build from there without throwing much away... I ditched my Eibock springs when I converted to coil-over.

Check out my front end:

[IMG]local://upfiles/12498/D1FFD170BA36490394BCDD20728DDF0B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2005, 06:50 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

weight reduction by changing control arms just isnt really gonna happen, the stockers are fairly light as is.. but traction would be much improved. unless your a hardcore racer you dont need anything expensive or adjustable - just regular boxed control arms with good bushings.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:54 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I got some GMS upper/lower CA's and have been very satisfied with them.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

weight reduction by changing control arms just isnt really gonna happen, the stockers are fairly light as is.. but traction would be much improved. unless your a hardcore racer you dont need anything expensive or adjustable - just regular boxed control arms with good bushings.
yea, im not really after adjustable ones. i just want some that will help out traction a ton and may be alittle lighter than stock? i dont need huge weight reductions from them. just a pair thats alittle lighter or has great features.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Vizaracer

yea, im not really after adjustable ones. i just want some that will help out traction a ton and may be alittle lighter than stock? i dont need huge weight reductions from them. just a pair thats alittle lighter or has great features.

The stock ones are pretty light due to just being stamped steel. My Granatelli's are definitely heavier, but the traction they deliver are well worth it.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:44 PM
krs01gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

The stock ones are pretty light due to just being stamped steel. My Granatelli's are definitely heavier, but the traction they deliver are well worth it.
werd, I have the same set as Code3, they are nice and provide more traction than the stock ones. Now if I could get some wider tires I would be like a kid at a pinata party.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

how much do those cost? i want upper and lower arms. where did ya get em?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:35 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

how much do those cost? i want upper and lower arms. where did ya get em?
$179.95 shipped from E-bay.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

are these them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...954438133&rd=1

Quick Reply: ok, wondering about control arms?