General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question on intakes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:34 AM
New2Ford
1st Gear Member

Default Question on intakes...

I was talking to this kid I met at a buddys speed shop,and we started talking about intakes.Well as some of you know I am new to this "new car" thing(never owned a car newer than 29 yrs. old) anyways we started talking about cold air intakes,which I thought to be any open element, high flow intake,that replaces the factory intake box. But he goes off on how that what I am describing is a "cool air" intake,and he tells me with confidance that a "cold air" intake is one that enlarges the factory air hole extends down and meets a pocket in the bumper(so to speak) .
Is it me or is kid stupid? I mean yes what he described is a cold air intake,but isnt what I am describing a cold air intake also? Or is it a cool air intake,and I need to pull my nose out of the carburators,and learn some **** about theese new cars? Sorry if I am rambling,but this has been on my mind since tuesday!
thanks for any clarification,
N2F
Old 02-19-2005, 01:52 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question on intakes...

sounds to me like he's describing a type of cold air intake most often referred to as a ram air intake system which gets its air from the front of the car where it picks up some pressure due to the speed of the car through the air. nowadays the term cold air intake refers to a system that gets the air from outside the underhood area where the hot air around the engine would lead to a higher inlet air temperature. some cars do this by drawing the air from outside the engine compartment through a hole in the fenderwell which is what happens with my older Fox model Stang. others have the intake sealed to a scoop like hole in the hood. others just have the intake positioned down low in the engine compartment so it gets relatively cooler air from below the radiator area. I still miss the older style tall carb style air filters that really let you hear the sound of the air rushing into the engine when you floored the gas pedal.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:06 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

the moroso CAI sound likes the old 4 barrel quadujet
Old 02-19-2005, 09:07 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

this intake is were old school meet new school

[IMG]local://upfiles/1534/D2EC57CA9AF54165809F7BE3B5D91CF0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-20-2005, 01:38 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

cold air instake takes cold air from the outside and puts into the engine...warm air is from the engine...hes just describing one kind...probably the kind that mounts on the fender
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Matty01

I just bought a no name general cold air intake that came with all the piping..aluminum, and cone element.Looks great , sounds great, but now my 4.6 feels like it has lost power. It doesnt kick down as hard as it used to.Beofre I was pulling second gear chirps from my automatic transmission.Now it just feels as if I manually put in 2cnd gear and accelerated.I checked everything 3 times.Its hooked up right,can anyone give me tips on what might be the problem? Theonly mod i have done is add Dynomax mufflers, thats it.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 PM
2000slvrGT
1st Gear Member

getting a little off topic here but my friend has a 2000 gt and he has his intake set up to where it branches off to his headlights and he takes out his headlights when he drags... always thought this was a neat setup
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

It's called a RAI.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:42 AM
kiohio

Matty: If the air is from under the hood it is hot air.
Even if it is routed outside the fenderwell, there is the alum piping.
It tranfers heat really well.
The air getting to your engine is much warmer then it was before.

KO
Old 12-25-2006, 05:02 AM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

yeah, air heats up pretty quick. so even if you take it from a fender well by the time it travels to the engine the air has already heated up quite a bit. that's why you pretty much feel no power gain from cai's.