General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anti-Theft Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

Default Anti-Theft Kill Switch

I've searched around for kill switch ideas. Just putting in a toggle switch is easy. I want an automatic typeswitch. My idea is when my alarm goes off I want it to kill either the starter or fuel pump, of both. I can wiring those in easily. The problem I am having is a way to do this.

The easiest way I can think of is use the alarm horn. So when power goes to the horn it also switches the kill switch. and then I want an easy button to reset it.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anti-Theft Kill Switch

Most alarm systems include an ignition kill circuit (?)
Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

I will look into the one I have, but I don't think it has that option. Would a relay switch be able to work for this?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5_0Muscle

I will look into the one I have, but I don't think it has that option. Would a relay switch be able to work for this?
i can draw you up a diagram after work. with plain relays it will constantly drain power until you reset the switch once its activated. ill see if i can make something work with a really small amp circuit breaker or overload relay (will break the ignition or fuel pump circuit once power hits it and wont constantly drain the battery like holding a relay open would)
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

yea that would be great. i've taken some electrical theory classes but I don't know much of whats out there. thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

I found out my alarm can disable the starter. here is what it says in the manual I found:
ORANGE WIRE: (-) NEGATIVE ARMED OUTPUT STARTER DISABLE (500mA Ground, Optional)
This wire becomes a (-) Ground output when system is armed. This output is used for disabling the starter or
to activate optional devices such as extra sensors, LED’s, window roll up modules, voice modules etc. For
starter kill, cut starter wire and connect between 87A and 30 on relay. Connect orange wire to 85 and connect
86 to an Ignition source that has voltage in the ON and CRANKING position.

But I am wondering if the alarm is somehow disabled or has the power cut. do you think it will allow the car to start? It kind of defeats the purpose if it does.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I think all the alarms I've ever had or worked on had a setup so the ignition/starter kill will still keep the car from starting even if someone yanks out the alarm siren etc,, if they can find the alarm module then sure they could bypass the lockout but all that work takes time,, something a car thief usually doesn't wanna to is to hang around too long lol

Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

Thanks I will try it out. If only I could figure out a way to lock the tires so they cant tow. But its a start. I appreciate the help
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

well if someone can disable the alarm before it goes nothing u would have rigged would prevent the car from starting (even the idea i was going to throw out for you). really though grey is right. your **** out of luck anyways if they have enuff time to find the alarm, cut it (without setting it off) then hotwire your car or tow it. they have decided theywant thatcar if it comes to all that. most car thieves try to find the easiest car they can find to steal.

you could just clip the wires to your fuel pump or something and solder some long leads to it with an on/off switch at the end and hide that under your seat, under the dash, etc... even if they broke your steering column to hotwire it the fuel would be off if you turn the pump off when u park ur car at night...whose gonna search around for hidden buttons when they are boosting cars anyways? they dont have the time for that either. anything u can do to stahl thieves could make them say **** it and bail out rather than risk getting cought by ****ing with the same car for too long.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 AM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

To agree with MU71L4710N, my old fox body would disconnect the battery from the starter after the engine was shut off, but theives were still able to steal the car.

LIke the idea above,and the thing I'm doing with my new 2007, is to have the kill switch be separate from the alarm system. I'm going to loop in a reed switch to the fuel pump and hide the switch in teh passenger compartment, and have it set up so that I pass a magnet by the switch when I get out of the car, disabling the circuit.Thereby letting a theif try to start my car until teh battery is dead, but get nowhere.When you get back in the car, pass the magnet by the circuit and you'll be able to start it

Hide the magnet in something like a key-fob, and you're set.

Quick Reply: Anti-Theft Kill Switch