General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Info on installing gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Info on installing gears.

ORIGINAL: blank

started off reading about a gear swap and ending reading a argument wow me personally i would take it the shop but to all his own if he messes up tow it to a shop and they can fix it right?

if he messes up his gears and tries to drive it he will need a whole new tranny, axles, rearend....

he might also need to to change the rear view mirror, those always get fuxed when swapping out gears
Old 02-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

Heres something shut you all the **** up (oohh i swore), I said this before and im saying it againt I HAVE A MECHINCAL INCLINE, I GREW UP WITH DRAG RACERS AS A FATHER AND UNCLE, RACING B4 THE MUSTANG WAS BUILT, B4 YOU ALL LIKED CARS AND B4 JESUS CURED THE BLIND. IVE WORKED ON 3 MUSTANGS COUNTING THIS ONE AND THE ONE BEFORE THIS WAS TO BE A 11 SECOND CAR IF I STILL TALKED TO MY DAD. I WAS SUPPOSED TO ACTUALLY HELP MY FATHER ON HIS REAR BUT I STOPPED TALKING TO HIM FOR PERSONAL REASONS. MY UNCLE PULLED 650 HP OUT OF A 289 CHEVY SB n/a. NOW THAT IVE COME ACROSS AS BRAGGING AND REALLY GRABBED YOU ALL BY THE *****, IM NOT. I ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION AND GOT A FEW PEOPLE WHO THINK I SHOULD DO AND, OTHERS WHO DONT AND PEOPLE WHO TRY AND ACT LIKE HOT **** BY TRYING TO REPREMAND A 19 YEAR OLD. REAL TOUGH.

That felt SOOOO Good.

And yes i do argue to death and i dont brush it off my shoulders, i do something about it.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cobra Owner At 19

That felt SOOOO Good.

Is that what your mommy says when you get done screwing her.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

now that was uncalled for, you got problems with me, keep them in the PMS we send to each other, dont go and bring our childish dispute to the forums.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Cobra Owner At 19

now that was uncalled for, you got problems with me, keep them in the PMS we send to each other, dont go and bring our childish dispute to the forums.

lol, take your own advice...

your making a bad name for yourself as it is.

and by the way ive never heard of a chevy small block 289, i always thought those were ford small blocks

if your so mechanically inclined, why are you asking us if you should install the gears, go ahead and do it already...
Old 02-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Wow, there are a few childish people on these forums, but thats why i pick and choose who i respond to. If someone types something stupid and i dont like it, either i type back something because i know im right and he is a moron. OR i just dont type back at all...
Personally Cobra 19 i dont think it has anything to do with youre age, why people dont think you can do it. Im 21....

Also....
Looking for info on how to install gears. taken the rear out of a 78 mustang before and looking to install 3.73s into my 94 cobra. I never installed gears b4 and want a good explanation of how to do it. I heard thats its kinda hard to do and not something to do if your really not sure but i want to at least read how its done to decide if i can do it or if should have a machine shop do it.
There it is, you asked for a good explanition of how to do it. You heard it was hardish, and youre exact words were.... "Not sure but i want to at least read how its done and decide if i can do it or not."

There were a few people who did correctly understand english and give you a link on how to do it...... Then there were other people who just like to post and told you it was a bad idea..... So **** on them if you want. But i would have just read the link and killed the post. Now you have a link on how to do it, i told you all the tools you need. Throgh PM's, so i am understanding where youre comming from because some idiots in here post random **** and its useless. But if i were you i would just let it rest and move on. Im sure you have worked on cars before and do have a idea of whats youre doing.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

Wow, there are a few childish people on these forums, but thats why i pick and choose who i respond to. If someone types something stupid and i dont like it, either i type back something because i know im right and he is a moron. OR i just dont type back at all...
Personally Cobra 19 i dont think it has anything to do with youre age, why people dont think you can do it. Im 21....

Also....
Looking for info on how to install gears. taken the rear out of a 78 mustang before and looking to install 3.73s into my 94 cobra. I never installed gears b4 and want a good explanation of how to do it. I heard thats its kinda hard to do and not something to do if your really not sure but i want to at least read how its done to decide if i can do it or if should have a machine shop do it.
There it is, you asked for a good explanition of how to do it. You heard it was hardish, and youre exact words were.... "Not sure but i want to at least read how its done and decide if i can do it or not."

There were a few people who did correctly understand english and give you a link on how to do it...... Then there were other people who just like to post and told you it was a bad idea..... So **** on them if you want. But i would have just read the link and killed the post. Now you have a link on how to do it, i told you all the tools you need. Throgh PM's, so i am understanding where youre comming from because some idiots in here post random **** and its useless. But if i were you i would just let it rest and move on. Im sure you have worked on cars before and do have a idea of whats youre doing.

you are one sided, i cant converse with one sided people. because your used to working on gears you say its not too bad for someone mechanically inclined. it seems to me that cobra owner is not that mechanically inclined if says things like 289 chevy.

go ahead and help him, he will end up taking it to a shop. its not being childish, its being realistic, that is why i think you are one sided.

by the way casper, i am mechanically inclined myself, probably as much if not moreso than you. and i did not do my gears, not because i couldnt but because i DIDNT WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE, i never did them before is what im saying and im not going to learn how to do them unless i have an experienced builder with me. this is hard for you to grasp.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

you are one sided, i cant converse with one sided people. because your used to working on gears you say its not too bad for someone mechanically inclined. it seems to me that cobra owner is not that mechanically inclined if says things like 289 chevy.

go ahead and help him, he will end up taking it to a shop. its not being childish, its being realistic, that is why i think you are one sided.

by the way casper, i am mechanically inclined myself, probably as much if not moreso than you. and i did not do my gears, not because i couldnt but because i DIDNT WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE, i never did them before is what im saying and im not going to learn how to do them unless i have an experienced builder with me. this is hard for you to grasp
Never thought of myself as one sided, but thanks for pointing that out. Could you possibly think of anything i could do to make myself more than 1 sided? Because im open to ideas...

Also You are as mechnically inclined as i am, ooh wait... and maybe youre MORE inclined than i am. If you had an clue you would know its easy to install gears. I think its easy, so you know more than i do so it should be easy for you. Am i correct?
You didnt want to take the chance, first time i installed gears they were perfect. I used a FORD manual and went by the instructions. It was easy to follow and easy to understand. I will say the links that were provided by others i read them and i didnt like them very much. As i performed more gear swaps, it got even easier for me. Then i found short cuts and got even quicker.
And just because he said someone who i dont know built a 289 SM chevy. I dunno if they made one, who knows maybe they did. But im not going to judge him on this. Im going to give him the info he needs and let himself judge if he can do it. Thats all.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 AM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

CASPER, you are missing the entire point here. Dbeck is trying to say that some things come easier to some people than others.
You can install gears...fine but I'm sure there are things you CAN'T do and other find simple.
Example, can you install a high end stereo system in your car? I'm talking amps, sub woofers, crossover networks etc.?
Can you make veal oscar, or shrimp scampi? Heck, all that stuff is simple to me...how about you?
I rebuilt my engine myself but no way in hell was I going to attempt to install my gears.
I'd rather change a heater core in a late model mustang with A/C than to even think about doing gear swaps.
Get the point yet?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: import slayer

CASPER, you are missing the entire point here. Dbeck is trying to say that some things come easier to some people than others.
You can install gears...fine but I'm sure there are things you CAN'T do and other find simple.
Example, can you install a high end stereo system in your car? I'm talking amps, sub woofers, crossover networks etc.?
Can you make veal oscar, or shrimp scampi? Heck, all that stuff is simple to me...how about you?
I rebuilt my engine myself but no way in hell was I going to attempt to install my gears.
I'd rather change a heater core in a late model mustang with A/C than to even think about doing gear swaps.
Get the point yet?

thats basically all im saying lol... there are some things that i dont f-ck with and one of them is gears even though i know i probably could do the install.

Quick Reply: Info on installing gears.